MH lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wobbles

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know there was a topic similar to this recently, but I think this is a little different.

Im thinking of upgrading to MH lights, but I have a hood over my tank which I kind of like. Should I be cutting holes in my hood, or are they ok to go under the hood if I build fans into the sides of it? Just worried aboot the heat.

Also this would put the lights very close to the top of the tank. Good, bad, otherwise???? :? :? :? :?

I currently have 8 40W tubes. Its just not getting to the bottom of the tank. Its 24" deep.

I also thought that they were for SW, but I saw it setup at my LFS and I have to tell you, its beautiful!!!! It seems to be getting more popular in oz.

Im thinking of getting 2 150W.

Cool. With a deeper tank, I can see what you mean. Not sure if having it that close will be a bad thing as long was it's protected from water splatter and causing a heat problem in the tank itself. May need to make some adjustments to get it just right. :)

i have two 175 watt MH lights on my 120, that is 26" deep, and they penetrate the watter really well. they do get hot though so i woulden't put them that close to the watter. you could get a pendant light and hang it from the ceiling, that can look quite nice to. HTH

I was thinking of making a recess in my hood to house them. Unfortunately I dont own the house im in so I cant hang the MHs. Is it the front of the light that gets hot or the back. The back will be in the open air.

They are hot all around. Need some space between the light and the tank. You could make larger recesses in the hood, and fabricate some risers to move the lights up further from the water.

As for hanging from the ceiling, wouldn't take much, just a hook screw in the ceiling, with linked chain down to the lights. It would be like hanging potted plants from the ceiling. If you asked the owner, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. And when you move, if you decide to later, the 2 small holes are easy to fill and color so they are invisible.

you can always pick up a few computer cooling fans to keep them moderatly cool. thats what most people use, and i think it works quite well for them. i'm not sure if your old hood will be big enough for every thing though

I've used MH for over two years now(saltwater) with 580 watts, in an enclosed oak hood that I made. the back is mostly open, but the sides have two large computer fans, blowing in the same direction. the bulbs are probably 4 inches from the glass over the water, and I've no heate issues to speak of. I highly suggest researching the fans and purchasing high end , silent fans. Try to get the most cfm's, too. hth.

- Chris

Be very careful. It will get very hot. You'd want to ensure you have very good air flow.

Holokai knows of what he speaks :) 120mm is the way to go. They can move a lot of air without a lot of noise. I would suggest Panaflow 120mm fans for good silent air movement. Check the RPM rating on the fans when you buy them. High RPMs usually mean a lot of noise but they do have a better CFM rating.

Yeah I would be going with multiple larger fans for more air flow and less dB.

I have a 7000RPM 60mm fan here, it was called "Delta Screamer" puts out more noise then a 747 and moves a tonne of air (60CFM), a 120mm (a couple good brands are panaflo, YSTech, and Vantec Stealth. Another that I'm not familiar with, but boasts 14db (extremely low) @ 58CFM is http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...n=PROD&Product_Code=1055&Category_Code=700.44

it's also lit blue for moonlight effect :) I'm sure you can find them for sale down there somewhere.

Yes, stay away from Delta fans. They are server fans and do not make any concessions to noise values. I love them though. I've got four of them in my main workstation case :p Low RPM 120mm fans are the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom