Micro fish for a 5 Gallon Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds good. Though I have had a harder time keeping the d. erythromicron. My d. margaritatus school never depletes, yet I've lost atleast half of my d. erythromicrons and I haven't even had them as long. Not sure what gives on that one. I'm quite fond of microdevario kubotai as well. Personally, I'm crazy about killies, so that's probably what I would choose. I normally wouldn't keep them with crays, but a couple of the smaller ones should work such as normans lampeye or clowns (Pseudepiplatys annulatus).

siva said:
I wouldn't say they are under an inch, especially the dainty, and IMO they are too active for a 5 gal. Also pygmy cories swim mid-tank, unlike most cories.

Hara jardoni are the only cats I would keep in a tank this size. A group of 6 would work if it's unheated with a sandy substrate

Except C habrosus. They do use the bottom and plant leaves to perch on.

image-1688602043.jpg

image-20677664.jpg

No I said pygmy cories. Which are the pygmaeus. The habrosus are the "dainty" which are just like typical cories. :)

That sounds good. Though I have had a harder time keeping the d. erythromicron. My d. margaritatus school never depletes, yet I've lost atleast half of my d. erythromicrons and I haven't even had them as long. Not sure what gives on that one. I'm quite fond of microdevario kubotai as well. Personally, I'm crazy about killies, so that's probably what I would choose. I normally wouldn't keep them with crays, but a couple of the smaller ones should work such as normans lampeye or clowns (Pseudepiplatys annulatus).
Are Emeralds really that hard to take care of? :ermm: They are so pretty! I have been looking into Galaxies and it is on my top 5 right now. Killies and microdevario kubotai are non-existent in CT. I would love to get my hands on some. The only Killies I have seen in real life are Golden Wonder Killis, they get 4 inches, though. Would you ever keep DPs? I'm really just starting to let that idea fade away, get some CRS/RCS and a Micro School. CPO if I can find it.

siva said:
No I said pygmy cories. Which are the pygmaeus. The habrosus are the "dainty" which are just like typical cories. :)

Many use Pygmy and Dwarf interchangeably. I do know the common names, I just use the Scientific to avoid confusion.

My pygmaeus were all over, on the bottom, on the plants, playing in the current :)

Not at all. I have naturally hard water, which is what they prefer. I've neglected their tank quite a bit, but they're doing just fine.

Many use Pygmy and Dwarf interchangeably. I do know the common names, I just use the Scientific to avoid confusion.

My pygmaeus were all over, on the bottom, on the plants, playing in the current :)
Well they shouldn't. ;) That's what I prefer as well, the scientific. What I meant was of the three "nano" cories, hastatus and pygmaeus are considered mid-tank shoalers while habrosus are a bottom dweller. I've kept all three and hastatus/pygmaeus have a different look and behavior from the typical cory, while the habrosus are like a miniature of the cories we all know and love.

I should just go with CPDs or Chilis then, I guess. Are Emeralds hard to take care of? :fish2:
Care for emeralds and CPD's is pretty much the same. I haven't found my emeralds to be any more timid than my CPD's. CPD's can tolerate more acidic water. As aqua chem mentioned emeralds do well in hard water...especially the wild caught specimens which is what I usually see.

Last edited:
I suspect that mine were wild-caught as well, which might be the source of their shyness. I'm planning on trying to breed them, then desensitizing them from a young age.

siva said:
Well they shouldn't. ;) That's what I prefer as well, the scientific. What I meant was of the three "nano" cories, hastatus and pygmaeus are considered mid-tank shoalers while habrosus are a bottom dweller. I've kept all three and hastatus/pygmaeus have a different look and behavior from the typical cory, while the habrosus are like a miniature of the cories we all know and love..

True :)
I've only had habrosus and hastatus so far.
Love the "mini" Cories ;)

Im hoping to breed my CPDs and my habrosus this year, but we'll see.

Let us know what you end up getting, and be sure to post pictures!
Camera is being fixed right now actually. I will tell you guys what I get on Wednesday around 5 to 6 o'clock. Maybe earlier! In a week or two, hopefully less, my Canon EOS Rebel Xti will be fixed and ready for some pictures. Thanks guys!

Went to a new LFS today hoping to find some Dwarf Puffers, which I did. But I came across some Galaxy Rasbora/CPDs and couldn't leave the store with a DP after seeing them. I got 2 and plan to add to the school but not at that store. They are $7.00 per fish! Also, got a a sick T5 Hood by DeepBlue. Planning to add some good plants. Right now I have just fake stuff from established tanks.

Pics will be up in a week or so, camera is getting fixed! :banghead:

Went to a new LFS today hoping to find some Dwarf Puffers, which I did. But I came across some Galaxy Rasbora/CPDs and couldn't leave the store with a DP after seeing them. I got 2 and plan to add to the school but not at that store. They are $7.00 per fish! Also, got a a sick T5 Hood by DeepBlue. Planning to add some good plants. Right now I have just fake stuff from established tanks.

Congrats! I have CPDs too and they are stunning cute little fish. Try to add to the school though as they'll be stressed with just two. I know a breeder you can contact if you want more, I think I paid $5 per fish but I can't remember for sure (assuming you live in the US as they'll need to be shipped probably).

Congrats! I have CPDs too and they are stunning cute little fish. Try to add to the school though as they'll be stressed with just two. I know a breeder you can contact if you want more, I think I paid $5 per fish but I can't remember for sure (assuming you live in the US as they'll need to be shipped probably).
Yeah, got 2 more today. I was worried about them. I plan on getting 2 more so I don't have an ammonia spike. I also have in the tank a beautiful Mahogany colored Apple Snail with not a imperfection on t. I also plan on adding some shrimp...any ideas?

FreshObsessed said:

My lfs priced cpds around this price too. They are awesome little fish. The remind me of little trout. I wonder why they are so expensive

Hey everyone! Been a while, thought I should do a teeny update. My 4 CPDs are doing great and my Apple Snail is...well...being a snail. :cool: Idk how to describe him, kind of boring. Besides that the CPDs are schooling nice and there have been no territorial issues. I'm looking into some more inverts. Pics will be up tomorrow. Camera came in. :)

Any invert ideas that are compatible with my current stock?

Thanks all. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom