Micro fish for a 5 Gallon Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshObsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up a 5.5 Gallon Aquarium that is lighted, filtered by an AquaClear 20, and heated.
I originally wanted a Dwarf Puffer for the tank. But, I'm reading more and more about them and they seem...fragile. I want either a few Micro species, A Micro school, or I'll just stick with the DP.

I'll definitely get a few CRS or RCS and I'm thinking of planting with Anubias, Marimo, and Java Fern. It doesn't matter of the rarity or expense. I just need to have stocking ideas!

*Not partial to Thai-Micro Crabs.

Thanks guys!

I don't think you're going to be able to fit a few species of micros in that tank. How about just turning it into a shrimp tank?

I don't think you're going to be able to fit a few species of micros in that tank. How about just turning it into a shrimp tank?
I know what you mean but like a few micro inverts and a 1 or 2 fish. Or just one school with some inverts is what I'm going for. I've tried a shrimp tank before and it just didn't look right to me. I don't have much experience or knowledge on planted tanks and I'd rather have a shrimp tank planted with all different plants.

Beyond betta and DP, all the microspecies you see are going to be able to find are mostly schooling species.

CPD, D. Erythromicron, chili rasboras, and phoenix rasboras are all options.

Guppies or Platies are very good choices you could plant the tank has 1 male 3 female and let fry birth into tank and hide in plants. Survival of the fitest

In addition to the fish suggested, I also think ember tetras would be ok in a 5.5g. But again, they are schoolers.
Have you thought about different species of betta besides the betta splendens you typically see? There are some really cool betta species out there.
Betta Species

Thanks everyone. I'm looking at a lot of cool species here. To the guy ewho usggested different types of Bettas, I'm just not a big Betta fan. I find them susceptible to various diseases; fin rot, ick, funguses, etc. I'd rather spend the extra $ for rarer species.
I have another question: this might sound dumb..but is there any chance if I had two female Dwarf Puffers or 1m and 1f would aggression be less, maybe even some breeding? I'm not one to breed but there is a high demand for DPs here and I could make some good cash. :D

Just for the record, I'm not a guy. ;)
In theory, yes, a m/f dp pair can work in a 5.5g tank. To make it successful, you need to make sure the tank is well planted so the dp have places to swim around and explore. I am not sure about 2 female dp though.

Check out the smaller rasbora species. I have Dwarf Rasbora in my 5.5, had 4 for the longest time and just picked up 2 more today. Theyre tiny and they arent active swimmers back and forth so I dont feel like they are crowded, they swim slower than bettas. Ive got shrimp in there too.

Bettas of any Species will tend to kill Shrimp. Dario Dario or any other Darios will eat baby Shrimp.

For Shrimp friendly Nano fish I'd recommend Chili Rasboras. Bright, tiny and Shrimp safe AFAIK. CPDs may snack on Shrimplets as well.

Nano fish all like lots of plants. They can be shy unless they feel safe. You can leave a large open area in the front, but try to plant lots of stuff to the rear and/or sides. People may get sick of this vid but these are my CPDs in my 10g.

Whoops, I forgot to say that if some of the fish suggested wouldn't likely do well with shrimp. Sorry about that. What Coursair said is very true, embers or the micro raboras would be your best bet if you want shrimp. Dp would likely eat shrimp too. Even fairly small fish will eat some shrimplets, but if the tank is planted and shrimplets have somewhere to hide, you will get a fair amount of survivors.

Just for the record, I'm not a guy. ;)
In theory, yes, a m/f dp pair can work in a 5.5g tank. To make it successful, you need to make sure the tank is well planted so the dp have places to swim around and explore. I am not sure about 2 female dp though.
Sorry about that ;)
Alright, I'll be sure to get more plants in.

Back
Top Bottom