Microbe-Lift "Special Blend"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliffy1203

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Aquarists,

My LFS recommended a product called "Special Blend" to help my tank's first cycle get established (it's only a week in). I put it in, and whew, what a horrific stink this product has! Kind of a combination rotten-egg, low-tide, and backed-up cesspool smell. And the whole house reeked for quite a while.

Have any of you used Special Blend? The LFS said it would help promote the growth of bacterial colonies that Seachem Stability would not.

Thanks,

Bill
:fish2:

Actually, I don't think "Special Blend" is meant as a 'cycle starter'. Is it meant for breaking down organics trapped in the gravel and does not contain the types of bacteria you are trying to foster. I think "Nite-Out" is that brand's 'cycle starter' but whether it works or not, i doubt it. Honestly, you don't need it and you would probably be better off just doing a normal cycle without the "help" of a bottled bacteria. The fish store guys just want to rack up your bill.

Hello Aquarists,

My LFS recommended a product called "Special Blend" to help my tank's first cycle get established (it's only a week in). I put it in, and whew, what a horrific stink this product has! Kind of a combination rotten-egg, low-tide, and backed-up cesspool smell. And the whole house reeked for quite a while.

Have any of you used Special Blend? The LFS said it would help promote the growth of bacterial colonies that Seachem Stability would not.

Thanks,

Bill
:fish2:

Hi, Bill! Do you have fish in this tank? If you dont, then you need to add a source of ammonia in order to cycle it. This product does not contain ammonia & will do nothing in respect to actual cycling. Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph? Some more info will help us to help you better!

FWIW When I cycled my first tank I had a small bottle of Special Blend that came as a sample. I cycled with fish and with daily water changes I was keeping the ammonia under control. When the Nitrite kicked in I couldn't keep up with it. After about four days I went ahead and dosed the tank with Special Blend. The next day I was at zero nitrite with nitrate levels were building. Was it the Special Blend? Was it just timing? I cant say for sure either way.

I do have fish in the tank, 16 fish in total... 5 sunburst platys, 3 sailfin mollies, 2 Dalmatian mollies, 2 blue dwarf gouramis, 2 pineapple swordtails, and 2 red wag swordtails. The first ten fish were supposed to get my cycle going by being the first ammonia source.

My LFS told me I could add a few more because after a week, the ammonia never rose above 0.25... So I added the swordtails and the dwarf gouramis, and I dosed the Special Blend. Since then the ammonia has risen, but only to 0.5 and the nitrite has gone to 0.25. I haven't even bought a test for nitrate yet and the LFS told me not to worry about pH, because too many people worry too much about it.

The LFS told me that most people do way too much manipulation of their fish tank and that I should not change the water or clean the gravel yet. She said that the bacteria needs to flourish in the water first before colonizing the filter and so partial water changes only screw up the cycle. They told me not to add any more fish but to just be patient and enjoy looking at the tank for the next five or six weeks.

Does this seem reasonable? The store has been in business for a long time and seems to be highly thought of by people around here. But their advice completely contradicts everything that most Internet sources say.

Thanks,

Bill

cliffy1203 said:
She said that the bacteria needs to flourish in the water first before colonizing the filter and so partial water changes only screw up the cycle.

She is wrong.
You MUST do water changes with a fish-in cycle and you should lightly vac your gravel also to get rid of any waste material before it has a chance to break down. If your ammonia or nitrites get to 0.25 or above you are risking your fishes lives. No ammount of bottle bacteria will help you. You need patience and lots of water changes. Your main concern is your filter, don't change your media unless it's falling apart and only lightly rinse it in old tank water.

PH is very important. Big swings in PH can have bad effects on your fish. Also, if your PH crashes too low then it inhibits your bacteria's ability to deal with the toxins.

I do have fish in the tank, 16 fish in total... 5 sunburst platys, 3 sailfin mollies, 2 Dalmatian mollies, 2 blue dwarf gouramis, 2 pineapple swordtails, and 2 red wag swordtails. The first ten fish were supposed to get my cycle going by being the first ammonia source.

My LFS told me I could add a few more because after a week, the ammonia never rose above 0.25... So I added the swordtails and the dwarf gouramis, and I dosed the Special Blend. Since then the ammonia has risen, but only to 0.5 and the nitrite has gone to 0.25. I haven't even bought a test for nitrate yet and the LFS told me not to worry about pH, because too many people worry too much about it.

The LFS told me that most people do way too much manipulation of their fish tank and that I should not change the water or clean the gravel yet. She said that the bacteria needs to flourish in the water first before colonizing the filter and so partial water changes only screw up the cycle. They told me not to add any more fish but to just be patient and enjoy looking at the tank for the next five or six weeks.

Does this seem reasonable? The store has been in business for a long time and seems to be highly thought of by people around here. But their advice completely contradicts everything that most Internet sources say.

Thanks,

Bill

I am afraid you have been a bit misguided. Ammonia & nitrite are toxic to your fish. .5ppm of either is enough to result in them being permanently damaged or end in their demise. The majority of your bacteria do not live in your water column but on the surfaces of your filter media & your substrate. Water changes will have no effect on your tanks cycle. Water changes are also the only way to keep your fish healthy while you cycling. Anytime your ammonia and/or nitrite levels hit .25ppm (or higher), you need to do water changes to get these levels lower. As long as you dose water conditioner/dechlorinator for the size of your tank & use temerature matched water, you will be fine!.
Please read up on the stickies in the 'getting started' section on the 'nitrogen cycle' & 'fish-in cycling' so you can understand what is happening in your tank. What are you using to test your ammoia & nitrite levels? You should consider investing in an API freshwater master test kit so you can accurately measure your levels for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph. Please do not hesitate to ask questions!

I use SB on all my tanks. Can't say enough about it. Never had any problems other than not being able to breath for a few minutes lol. After a dose or two it'll get going and helped a lot.

Don't get me started on Special Blend! This stuff rocks!!! Never had any issues with my tank and cycled it in 2 days... say impossible and I'll prove you wrong haha. :ROFLMAO: Ever get a chance to help your tank out and dose this stuff, yeah its smell can get quite the hairs out of your nose possibly make you want to barf (just get in the tank as fast as you can and close the bottle lol) but this stuff is really amazing. My tank has never had any issues and perfect readings all around. Would recommend Special Blend to anyone.

I also liked the SB, regarding the odor...

In my experience the product helps to speed up the nitrogen cycle... I don't have a scientific support, just my observations in my tanks

Back
Top Bottom