Microbubbles in Fluval FX5...help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
So...our fluval has been running for three months without incident. It started clogging with the water polisher in...so when we used the last one...I decided to replace it with more bio max so I wouldn't have to haul the canister out to clean every two weeks. Since I have plugged it all back in two days ago...it's been spitting out microbubbles. Ive turned off our air pump to see if it was sucking in air at the intake...I've checked all the connections including the drain...no air leaks found. I thought it could have been the new biomedia but that would surely have stopped by now. It's been spitting bubbles for 48 hours straight and it's making our water look cloudy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Is it sealed properly? I also have a fx5 and don't have that issue. I'd check the top and make sure it's tightened down all the way and no air is getting in. Also when you clean it do you drain a little from the intake and outtake to get trapped debris out?

I drain a little from each hose into a bucket you'd be surprised what you see.

Sounds like maybe air is getting in from somewhere.

Convict2161 said:
Is it sealed properly? I also have a fx5 and don't have that issue. I'd check the top and make sure it's tightened down all the way and no air is getting in. Also when you clean it do you drain a little from the intake and outtake to get trapped debris out?

I drain a little from each hose into a bucket you'd be surprised what you see.

Sounds like maybe air is getting in from somewhere.

I'm going to take it out again today and see what's going on...make sure it's tightened down well and evenly. Ive read if its cranked down too hard it could warp the seal and air will get in...but I doubt that's it as I am a wimp...lol. I'm not really understanding what you mean about the intake and outtake...you mean the hoses that are left behind when I remove the canister? I hate sounding stupid...but do I just put a bucket under there and open the valve for a second? Can I ask what media you are using in your baskets? I'm assuming its on your African tank...? I really appreciate your help btw...;-)

You don't sound stupid at all :)

Yes the hoses left behind when unhooking them from the canister. Take a five gallon bucket and drain a little from each hose into the bucket. I bet you see some nasty debris! Also you'll let all of any trapped air.

And your welcome :)

Glad I could help.

I have three FX5's and ran into this about 10 months ago. I called and was told the polishing pads cause that (as you found out) and overpacking the baskets with certain media or certain pads causes it. In my case it was overpacking Purgen to absorb tannins being released from the organic soil.

You can fill the basket with bio media and your fine but I ended up buying a course grade pond padding and cutting them to size for the basket. Then I threw an old Wisper on with a fine grade padding similar to the fluval polishing pads. I can easily clean or change that much easier than the FX5. It's a brute to have to drag out and clean. I now add only a little Purgen, maybe a 1/4 of a basket with one of the course pads and have not had a bubble issue since.

What do you have in your 3 baskets?

Guess I should have told you I have bio media and one course pad in the other two baskets.

Rivercats said:
I have three FX5's and ran into this about 10 months ago. I called and was told the polishing pads cause that (as you found out) and overpacking the baskets with certain media or certain pads causes it. In my case it was overpacking Purgen to absorb tannins being released from the organic soil.

You can fill the basket with bio media and your fine but I ended up buying a course grade pond padding and cutting them to size for the basket. Then I threw an old Wisper on with a fine grade padding similar to the fluval polishing pads. I can easily clean or change that much easier than the FX5. It's a brute to have to drag out and clean. I now add only a little Purgen, maybe a 1/4 of a basket with one of the course pads and have not had a bubble issue since.

What do you have in your 3 baskets?

At this time...I have bio media in the two bottom baskets (water polisher used to be in the bottom as instructed by manufacture...lol) and a blue small particle pad with some clearmax packs in top. They are supposed to he keep water clear and remove excess nitrate. We do regular water changes...but the water was going a bit green and I'm looking for willow branches and more plants to assist...but I had it so I thought id try it. The top basket is quite full...maybe that's an issue. I've yet had the time to pull it out today...I'm wondering if using regular poly-fill as a sort of water polisher will clog and compress as fast as the store bought polisher.

I like the idea of adding a hob to do the fine filtering...much easier to clean!

Yeah I use the AC110 for the polishing pads carbon if needed etc. the fx5 I just have sponges and one tray has ceramic bio rings, that's pretty much it. Water flow is much better also.

Yup, the poly fill will do the same thing in them. Thats why I went to a courser filter pad. You need to lighten your basket load for sure. It won't quite spitting micro bubbles until you get enough media thinned out to allow for proper water flow through the chambers. I learned that the hard way!

Rivercats said:
Yup, the poly fill will do the same thing in them. Thats why I went to a courser filter pad. You need to lighten your basket load for sure. It won't quite spitting micro bubbles until you get enough media thinned out to allow for proper water flow through the chambers. I learned that the hard way!

Okay...that's what I will do. Thanks...I'll post results. ;-)

Okay...I haven't forgotten to post...I just have been so busy I've just gotten around to dragging that heavy canister outside...again! All of the seals etc seemed fine and dandy...but all I left in my baskets are the biomedia in the bottom two and a blue pad in the top. We have also added a Fluval C4 hob to the tank for the fine filtering and did the weekly wash walls and water change. Now I have to wait and see if its all good or not...so far there seems to be some bubbles and allot of small stuff swirling around...but hopefully by morning we will see some progress.
One question I have tho...the current in my tank is crazy now. My Angels are getting blown all over the place. I'm sure there must be some way to deal better with this...but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? ;-). Thanks!

Okay...annoyed...still have microbubbles. :-/. I shut down my air pump to be sure it wasn't pulling in air from that...could it be from adding the biomedia? I rinsed it really well but I know they are full of air pockets...should I wait it out to see if they dissipate? When we set up the tank there was allot of small stuff in the water anyway...so micro-bubbles at that time wouldn't have stood out. I've done everything suggested to be sure there is no air in the line...I would assume if the blue pad was making the bubbles...it would have been doing this from the start. I'm pretty frustrated...ugh. How long should I wait?

It should be working fine now so I do believe it is time to call. I think the customer service number was somewhere in the book otherwise you can find it on line. Make darn sure to tell them what all you did and how little you have in the canister now. The bio-media shouldn't be causing any bubbles. I am beginning to think now that there is something wrong with the filter itself. Call and let me know what they say.

As for flow, I forgot what size tank you have but the way I would slow flow was to aim the outflows somewhat up towards the surface but aimed towards the sides but in a way that it skims off the front glass alittle. My outflow is almost in the middle of the tank which allows me to do that. You'll have to play with it some, I had to for a few days until I got the flow exactly how I wanted it and so it didn't blow my angels all over too.

Microbubbles is a common problem with the FX5's, Fluval has a updated lid they will send out at no charge. The new lids do not have the downspout tube which is what causes the cavitation in the filter. Of my three FX5's two of the units had the microbubbles issue, and I now manually cut the tubes off with a hacksaw. I'd contact them since they did send me two new lids at no charge, they were under warranty still but my last one I simply just cut if off.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Microbubbles is a common problem with the FX5's, Fluval has a updated lid they will send out at no charge. The new lids do not have the downspout tube which is what causes the capitation in the filter. Of my three FX5's two of the units had the microbubbles issue, and I now manually cut the tubes off with a hacksaw. I'd contact them since they did send me two new lids at no charge, they were under warranty still but my last one I simply just cut if off.

Cool...thank you! I'll call them. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom