Microscopic specs in water?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dream

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 36 gallon tank that I've had going for about a month and a half and starting Saturday morning, it looks like I have white specs taking over my water! It's odd, I've never seen this stuff before. It almost looks like sugar or salt, or even smaller than that, white specs in my water. Looks almost like a snow globe!

You cant see it if you stand a few feet back, but as you get close it looks like water with salt in it! The things I've changed in the last week is: replaced carbon in my filter with Purigen, added a few live plants and added some flourish to attempt to fix my plants yellowing. :ermm:

Anybody have any idea what it is, and how to get rid of it? Doesn't seem to be bothering my fish and the two 15% water changes I've done since haven't reduced it at all.

Tank Setup:
36 gallon bow front
Eco-Complete Substrate
Fluval 206

2 Rams
6 Neons
2 Galaxy Rasbora
1 Hillstream Loach

Take the purigen out check to see if its leaking... Those white specs are most likely the purigen.

That was one of the first things I did when I noticed it and I didn't see any holes in the Purigen bag. I'll check again later today....

Could this be some kind of bacteria bloom? I always add a little API Quick Start when I do a water change.

Purigen is a bit larger than what you're describing. What substrate did you use and did you wash it first?

In general, a bacterial bloom is too small to see. It will just be like a cloud moved into your tank. It sounds most like some debris in the water column.

Substrate is Eco-Complete. I did not rise per their instructions. I've had that in for a month before this white specs showed up.

Here's a short video. You have to view it in at least 720p to see the specs. Don't mind the bigger chunks floating around, they're parts of a new plant that was put in yesterday.

http://youtu.be/AqyedLB84_0

SooooOooooo after taking that video, I stopped the filter to clean it out and make sure nothing was wrong inside (Purigen or Media) and I noticed all of the white stuff has settled on TOP of the water. Now I'm even more confused!

Take the purigen and put it in a coffee container or something with water and shake the bag around and see if you get any purigen in the water.. I still think its the purigen.

I see what your talkin about in the tank.. im not sure what that cloudy stuff is... get a water polishing filter pad for your filter and see if it clears that up

Ok, I took the Purigen out and swished it around in a clear bucket I use for water changes. Nadda.

I tore the whole filter down when I got home today and I couldn't find anything that looking out of the ordinary. The only other thing I can think of is the HUGE fake rock piece that I have in the middle of my tank - could it be flaking away? I'd hope not. It's only a few months old and I bought it brand new.

It could be... I have noticed fake ornaments and stuff tend to deteriorate over time... Paint flakes off and stuff like that.

Does the fake rock flake if you rub it with your fingers ?

I agree about adding the polishing filter. If you disturb the substrate do anymore of the white flakes pop up?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'll be getting a new polishing pad this weekend. I'm pretty sure that's what's in there right now in the same basket the Purigen is in.

Check out the pic!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 20141230_192429.jpg
    20141230_192429.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom