Microworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmie943

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considering starting a colony of microworms to go along with my guppy fry's normal diet. From what I know they are pretty easy to keep a supply and provide a good source of live food. Has anyone had a bad experience with them or have any tips? Where do you suggest I buy them from?

I raise grindal worms for my tetras, Betta, Khuli's etc. I bought a starter culture on eBay and I use the soilless method to keep it from pests/stink.

I raise grindal worms for my tetras, Betta, Khuli's etc. I bought a starter culture on eBay and I use the soilless method to keep it from pests/stink.

Thanks for the reply! I ordered a starter from eBay so I should be able to start a culture this week.

Now hit the dollar store for a plastic container and some scrubbers. I like the thick ones best. IMG_8638.jpg

I presoak dog chow and place it on plastic pieces of an old glad container. The worms flock to it. I use water to float them off in a dish to feed. IMG_8640.jpg

The culture I got stank something terrible. I put the stinky soil on the bottom of the tub and put the scrubbies on top and the food on top of that to draw the worms out of the soil. I then transfer that to a new tub without soil. I kept doing that until I wasn't seeing any worms left in the soil and then I tossed it.

Feed your worms and keep them moist and they will multiply. It may be a few months before you have enough to harvest and feed.

If you feed more than the worms can consume in a day or so you can cause other problems.

Last edited:
Today was the first day of feeding microworms. I was concerned because they ended up sitting in a hot mailbox for a couple of hours but after three days of sitting in a container of instant mashed potatoes and yeast they multiplied enough to be crawling on the sides of the container. Thanks for your help, the fish seem to appreciate the live food.

They love these things. And they are a great size for the smaller fish to eat.

I breed red worms. Not sure why more aquarists dont breed them.

1. Inside or out. Systems for under sink.
2. Soil for garden
3. Tea for house plants or garden
4. Feed with food scraps for those without live stock
5. Can make a little cash with decent outdoor set up.
6. No odor if done right
7. Low set up cost
8. Worms have multi uses

I breed red worms. Not sure why more aquarists dont breed them.

1. Inside or out. Systems for under sink.
2. Soil for garden
3. Tea for house plants or garden
4. Feed with food scraps for those without live stock
5. Can make a little cash with decent outdoor set up.
6. No odor if done right
7. Low set up cost
8. Worms have multi uses

What do you feed them to and how big are they?

They get big but no reason they cant be cut up or used when small. I do both. Guppies eat them. Any carnivore or omnivore will eat them

Back
Top Bottom