Mid-Size catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tethys

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really wanted a striped raphael for my empty 55 gallon, but my LFS has discontinued them. Now I'm back to researching for a suitable alternative. Pictus is out because I don't want to have to constantly treat for ich.

Are there any other catfish that get 6-8 inches? I'm wracking my brain to come up with one and I can't.

African feather fin catfish. Here's mine at about 7 inches. Max size is 9".

Attachments

• image-132692739.jpg
    image-132692739.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 95
No the link didn't work. It's an interesting site, but it already assumes you know the family and genus of the fish, which I don't. I clicked on a few but none of them looked like a fish that my LFS would have heard of.

My LFS definitely has an African Featherfin. It's listed as "Aggressive". How accurate is that?

My LFS definitely has an African Featherfin. It's listed as "Aggressive". How accurate is that?

Mine is not even aggressive. Every now and then he will chase someone away from the spot he claimed is his. Normal fish behavior.

Good to know as it opens up more possibilities with regard to what other kinds of fish I could keep with him.

They don't have an Asian Bumblebee though, but the photo did look really cool.

He will also hang out with my water cow and sits on his back. The water cow is a 13" fish and he just chills on his back.

I even go with a Pictus as well. As long as u keep good water conditions and keep them healthy then I wouldn't worry about the ich. Keep him in a holding tank for a bit to be safe. Even feeding them garlic would be a good idea to prevent disease and parasites.

I would definitely get a African Featherfin I have one and they are peaceful gorgeous catfish. Just don't keep with small fish because like all mid sized catfish it will eat them.

I would definitely get a African Featherfin I have one and they are peaceful gorgeous catfish. Just don't keep with small fish because like all mid sized catfish it will eat them.

Mine must be too well fed then, because they are doing nothing to help with my guppy fry problem! :lol: :hide:

I really wanted a striped raphael for my empty 55 gallon, but my LFS has discontinued them. Now I'm back to researching for a suitable alternative. Pictus is out because I don't want to have to constantly treat for ich.

Are there any other catfish that get 6-8 inches? I'm wracking my brain to come up with one and I can't.

My local petsmart has the striped raphaels you may want to check with them I was amazed to see it

Mine must be too well fed then, because they are doing nothing to help with my guppy fry problem! :lol: :hide:

Same here. Mine won't touch any live or frozen fish. Eats shrimp pellets and bloodworms. Beef heart every now and then to

Haha idk mine is in with a Oscar and convict cichlid and every time I feed ghost shrimp he definitely goes crazy on them. Or if I feed platy fry from my platys he eats them.

Maybe it depends on tankmates like food competition idk because he's a fat catfish.

I'm sorry but I'm confused about the pictus and ich thing. i have 4 pictus and have never had a problem with ich with them. One was even in a tank where some of the fish got ich and the pictus was perfectly fine.

You could do this four lined primelodus catfish, it grows to max out 10 inches
img_2483482_0_3ee27f88d495370f0dea78261b340c29.jpg

Hoplo cats!

I have H. littorale (7 of them). You'd have a hard time killing them even if you were trying. Mine have topped out at a little over 6".

HoplosternumLittorale.jpg

They love to cruise, root around and mine like to eat from the hand. Sometimes they mistake my fingers for food when they still smell like it and will mercilessly suck on them until I take it away. So far they haven't proven sensitive to any of the usual medicines/remedies one might use for common ailments in the aquarium.

They're also pretty easy to get spawning too. I'm not equipped for it so I discourage it with high surface flow, but any time I re-do the flow and leave too much of a still area on the surface, my one male (what a lucky guy, he has 6 ladies with him, lol) will start working on a bubble nest.

Their only drawback is that they can be hard to find, because they aren't exactly a pretty fish.

Having a Pictus does not mean you'll have ick. That comes down to your water quality.

Featherfin catfish can be aggressive and will eat some smaller fish. Look at the Hoplo catfish if you can find one. Very peaceful and very active. They top out around 6-7". Mine is around 5.5" and he rarely hides.

Edit: Good call Rokuzachi, didn't see your post.

Back
Top Bottom