Might be moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riane22

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best way to move a 55 gallon tank. Lots of fish 20-25 platys mollys catfish gouramis rainbows and a pleco

Not to far. Still in the same town

I would get a big tub from walmart or somewhere that's the same volume as your tank. Drain all your water into it and move your filter and heater into it. That way you can just move an empty tank and get it ready for them at your new place.

You could either bring the fish all at once or a few at a time. Just make sure you bring your filter with your first fish and don't let the sponge dry out because it will kill all your BB.

Wouldnt a big tub full of water and fish be just as hard to move? And what about a sponge?

That's why I mentioned moving a few at a time. The sponge I'm talking about is in your filter. It's what all your BB grow on. If you let it dry out, they will die and you'd have to cycle your tank again.

I have a 55g and had to move 2x's. Of course we moved it last but I placed my fish in 5g buckets and transported them immediately to new home THEN I placed them into big plastic tub with filters, heater, bubblers, etc running that way I could take my time placing things back up in main tank (a few hours, if needed). I wouldn't attempt to move bug tub full of water and fish (eeekkk). I drained water out of filters and left all media inside ...I just wrapped them good in big black trash bags so they would stay moist.

I wasn't suggesting that they move the whole tub, I just listed it as an option. I like your idea about using 5g buckets and then putting them in a tub at the new location. I will probably be moving in a few months so I'll have to remember that.

I would get a big tub from walmart or somewhere that's the same volume as your tank. Drain all your water into it and move your filter and heater into it. That way you can just move an empty tank and get it ready for them at your new place

Lets do some math:
55 Gallon tank
X 8 lbs per gallon
--------------------
440 lb tub of water + fish?!

I would get a few(2-3) 5 gallon buckets, fill them with tank water until they are about 2-3 inches from the top then split your stock into them. Home Depot has really nice orange buckets that come with well fitting lids, I highly suggest those. You will need heaters in the buckets. If you are going to have the fish in the buckets for more than a few hours you will need some kind of bacterial filtration and an air stone would help too. I use these: Aquarium Internal Filters: ATI Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters at Foster and Smith Aquatics in my main tank, so I just move them to the buckets. If you are a few weeks out from moving, get a couple of these running in your tank and youll be good to go! Also great for insta-cycling new/hospital tanks.

Make sure to leave enough water in the bottom of the tank to JUST cover the gravel. You don't want the gravel to dry because it will kill the bio, but too much will cause uneven stress on the seams and could break the tank.

Hope this helps :)

Lets do some math:
55 Gallon tank
X 8 lbs per gallon
--------------------
440 lb tub of water + fish?!

I would get a few(2-3) 5 gallon buckets, fill them with tank water until they are about 2-3 inches from the top then split your stock into them. Home Depot has really nice orange buckets that come with well fitting lids, I highly suggest those. You will need heaters in the buckets. If you are going to have the fish in the buckets for more than a few hours you will need some kind of bacterial filtration and an air stone would help too. I use these: Aquarium Internal Filters: ATI Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters at Foster and Smith Aquatics in my main tank, so I just move them to the buckets. If you are a few weeks out from moving, get a couple of these running in your tank and youll be good to go! Also great for insta-cycling new/hospital tanks.

Make sure to leave enough water in the bottom of the tank to JUST cover the gravel. You don't want the gravel to dry because it will kill the bio, but too much will cause uneven stress on the seams and could break the tank.

Hope this helps :)

+1 agree

Back
Top Bottom