Milky water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ztkirkpatric

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently converted my reef tank to a dirted planted tank. Its plumbed to a sump in my garage.

I put a layer of peat moss/topsoil mix approx 2 inch deep, then set another 2" of pea gravel on top. So far so good. I filled the tank up to the top of the substrate approx 3-4 weeks ago, planted some plants then filled the rest of the way. It's not "heavily planted" but has a fair amount.

Ever since filling up the water has been "Milky". I can see thicker areas of white moving around in the tank around the power heads. Wasn't immediately this way after filling but within a day it had become this way.

I have done several 50 gallon water changes and just did an 80 gallon water change. The sump water is brown, like diatoms have covered the glass or something, I don't keep a light on above the sump.

The milky ness seems to clear somewhat at times and get worse at times.

Tank has three LED fixtures above it, I've had them on full blast, I turned them down today.

After a few days I am going to shut off pumps and power heads to see if stuff from the substrate is being kicked up.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom