Milky water any advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andjak

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got milky water iv done a few water changes but I can't seem to make it go clear iv also used aqua clear I stumped it only happened after I added new rocks ?

Attachments

• image-2082884366.jpg
    image-2082884366.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 81
Hello Did you scrub the heck out of the Rocks and where did you get them from ? there are many things to Milky water, could even be a bacterial bloom depending on pre cycled or ....
Or for Milky water add crunchy cookie lol just goofin..

I got those huge rocks out of the cliffs where I used to love boiled em up let them soak , scrubbed the bejesus out of them emptied the water and let them soak in boiling water again it doesn't seem to be getting worse it just seems like the cloud you get in when first putting sand in but i got black gravel ? And man cookies and milk sounds appealing right now :p I am gunna try another 25% water change in a few days but just waiting for ich medicine to take effect :) I got a funny feeling it could be the light I have as it seems so unnaturally light lol a really really white light if that makes sense rather than the yellowish tint one I had before but I appreciate any and all advice :)

Stay away from adding chemicals whenever possible. Bad things usually happen.

So we've established that the tank was clear before you added the rocks and milky after? Sounds like it's the rocks that are causing the problem.

1. Did you do the acid test on the rocks? Pour some white vinegar on the rocks and see if it foams. If it does, the rocks are reactive and really shouldn't be added to the tank.

2. Stick one of the rocks in a bucket of water and see if that water turns milky.

3. Try running some activated carbon in the filter.

I actually had a few of the other rocks which are the same in the tank before and it wasn't cloudy I do have a carbon filter thing but iv had to take it out for the ich treatment so I'll put that bak in on Monday after the medicine has eliminated that ich lol other than water change and the Caron filter im stumped although cheers for filling me in on rocks reactivity I didn't even know that lol

Ibrahim said:
Uv sterlizers help.

Sorry I'm still learning :p what are
Uv stabilisers different light ? Or something so control the amount of light

Andjak said:
Sorry I'm still learning :p what are
Uv stabilisers different light ? Or something so control the amount of light

A pump runs the water through an oval container which has a UV bulb. It kills free floating diseases and algae.

Oh sure can I find one of them in my lps or do I gotta order online also any ones in specific that are good and prices ?

to start, change out a large portion of the water like 80% to 90%. This will get rid of most of whatever is causing the cloudiness. If it comes back, than look at the rocks. Cloudiness can be caused by a bacterial bloom which usually passes on it's own. Perhaps the ich med is also contributing.

So it seems that the water has cleared up on its own I was waiting till Monday well technically today by 2 mins for the ich medicine to run its course and today it was just really clear very odd

Back
Top Bottom