Milwaukee Regulator Killed My Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welp, the co2 regulator ran itself dry then dumped a bunch of co2 into my tank, this suffocating my fish.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Other co2 regulator suggestions?

Super pissed about this but I want to get my co2 system working correctly, even if it means getting a new regulator.

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Hmmmm... sounds more like user error.. perhaps re tracing your methods thoroughly before publicly defaming someone/something is in order?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmmm... sounds more like user error.. perhaps re tracing your methods thoroughly before publicly defaming someone/something is in order?

It's not defamation, although I do agree user error may be the issue here. (legal hawk mode go)

Ive had it setup for over a month, i will say the bubble counter loses water quite frequently and the bps never stay constant.

There is NO regulator that will eliminate EOTD!
A ph controller could have helped if the solenoid worked correctly.
EOTD happens in minutes on my 180g and offers no warning.
I learned the schedule by weighing my tank when empty and full so I could tell how much was left.The gauges don't offer that info.
I also have a controller so hav never had any issue besides finding my tank empty.
Blah,blah
But not a milwaulkee issue at all.

Ive had it setup for over a month, i will say the bubble counter loses water quite frequently and the bps never stay constant.

You need to get a separate bubble counter and place a check valve between it and regulator.
Milwaulkees don't have a check valve between solenoid and bubble counter causing failure for some(why I said if solenoid works in previous post).
I have an OLD milwaulke and it NEVER held fluid in the bubble counter for me.
I got separate buble counters and stopped adding fluid to the counter attached to reg.

Fluid loss daily?? Did you ever have water in the lines? That's concerning actually.. i retract my previous statement regarding defamation.

Fluid loss daily?? Did you ever have water in the lines? That's concerning actually.. i retract my previous statement regarding defamation.

Theres always water in the lines...i followed the setup post perfectly...idk whats going on

When i refill the bubble counter i just unscrew it a lil, water comes through the co2 line fills it and then i screw it back on.

You think i need a check valve and that will solve the issue.

Ive considered a ph controller but unsure how the work and such.

No/faulty check valve. Can't see why you're losing the gas into the tank though. I am remembering specific details on your tank. What did the deceased look like? I've gassed a couple fish and it's quite obvious:(

No/faulty check valve. Can't see why you're losing the gas into the tank though. I am remembering specific details on your tank. What did the deceased look like? I've gassed a couple fish and it's quite obvious:(

They were gassed the drop checker was bright yellow

I just dont get why the bubble counter loses water so fast. I guess i just need to check the water level and bps more often

It was just last week I read from Oldpunk(TPT) that the milwaulkee has no check valve between the bubble counter and solenoid.
It really explained a lot to me as I lost fluid completely in days.
Super cheap buble counter @kensfish($3).Check valve is your choice but you should have one.
from OP;
Naw...

Every one of them I've read about has been a Milwaukee and the solenoid got stuck open. That means the ph controller no bad how much it wants to cut the gas, it can't.

Since the needle valve is adjusted to rapidly increase the co2 saturation, it doesn't take long to gas your livestock.

Wanna know why the solenoid got stuck? Because your water or Glycerin or whatever other fluid you have in your bubble counter has a chance to back up to the solenoid whenever it's closed. It does this because the bubble counter is mounted right onto the needle valve and there's no check valve between the two. A really poor design as far as I'm concerned. But it works anyway.

There aren't many of these type of failures and considering how many Milwaukee regs are out there, it's probably not going to happen to you. It does happen though. And every once in a while, we hear about it here on the forums.

I guess my point is that you don't want to depend on a magical piece of equipment to save you from a piece of equipment that's prone to failure. With the money spent on both, you could have just got one good piece of equipment that doesn't require maintenance and won't crap out after a couple of years. A ph controller should be used as tool to set your co2 levels. Not thought of as a way to save your livestock incase of a failure somewhere else.
user_online.gif

Okay im sold on the check valve. Where would i fit this in since the bubble counter is attached to the solenoid?

Is there a combo check valve and bubble counter?

I use the cheapo aquatek.. works good on 3 tanks.. def better options out there though.

Also is there a place i can get a good check valve locally as opposed to having to order one online and wait?

Also is there a place i can get a good check valve locally as opposed to having to order one online and wait?

Could be.. what did google say?? Specialty Aquarium shops? Diy welding supply rig?

Back
Top Bottom