Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Min distance tank from wall?

Setting up this 125 (first tank) and I'm having to work some construction magic due to a house vent being right behind the stand. To keep the hi and cold temps away from the tank I'm building a special duct way behind the stand to split the air around it's left and right sides. Because of all this I'm sort of building my stand in place and won't be able to move it without reconstructing the entire little duct system behind it; the back of the stand is part of the duct system itself.

So...my question is...what's the minimum distance a tank and stand should be from the wall? Is there any reason it should be further away from the wall other than to allow whatever equipment needs to get through there? I'll be running two Eheim Pro 3e canisters in the stand itself and the tubes will snake their way up behind the stand and into the tank. Far as I know (and I'm still learning) the only equipment I'll have to leave room for is just those in and out tubes...or is there some other equipment I don't know about that I may want to use in the future that'll need to run behind the tank?

By the way the tubes leading from the tank to the filters won't interact with the duct at all. And I'll probably be using inline heaters locating them in the stand as well.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One reason I can think of that you might want a little space is if you plan to use one of those mag floats to clean the glass. I have one and made sure my tank was far enough out that I could get my arm back here.

Oh, also if your outlet is covered by the tank, put an extra adapter/extension cord on there so that if you can't reach it and add new equipment you can still plug it in.

Apart from that I don't know......hopefully the experts will chime in....

Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Min distance tank from wall?

There is no specific width. I just recommend that your stand fits the perimeter of your tank. I have a DIY stand with plywood top overhanging 4" from the back with some holes to run my hoses.

Tags
tan, tank, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com