mind blown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
so yester day i went for a trip to the fish stores about 30mile from my house(closest i have around me). i had to get some more food and piece of fome to keep my soon to arive red cherry shrimp from getting filter logged. and while i was there i was gona get some mts from both places for my clown loaches.

well the first place is a big chain store, and evry hting went good got some snails and some new bulbs and a thermomoter. then headed over to my once fav place to buy fish Jacks aqua. to get some fet for some plants and some more mts. "oh by the way the snails are only $.30 each" that stopped me in my tracks. im not gona pay to help them rid there tanks of the little guys.

is this gona be a thing to come? having to pay for mts, i just started feeding them bc they were free and helps out with the budget. i could see paying $.03 each but not $.30

am i just being rdiculus or is this crazy

That is around at the moment 40c Austrlalian. I could see me buying mts for 40c each. good deal and they multiply like crazy. But i would just go back and get them from the other spot. Is there a limit or take how many you want?

Yea, if you find that buying MTSs ends up being a substantial investment to feed your fish - you might be better off setting up a "snail tank" (5-10gal, low maintenance) and you can just feed em with whatever and never have to buy them again.

I had to spend a few dollars buying my Ramshorns off EBay, but that was only because there are ZERO LFS and Petco's etc in the area with snails. But now that their population is established in my tank - I can pull out and throw away about 10-15 marble-sized snails each week and they keep my tank spotless. :)

Sometimes they charge. I paid a quarter for my first single MTS at a small LFS and I've got four tanks stuffed with them now. I actually bought some assassin snails to help reduce the MTS and ramshorns.

Petsmart occasionally clears them out of their tanks and gives them away.

i know there not a charity, but a month ago they were giving me 40-50. they used to have limit of 12 but the guy said they were over runnin there tanks and wanted to get rid of as many as they could. now they must have depeted there supplie and want to slow down there departure. i got some from pet supply and put them in my former black light tank now becoming my 1st planted tank(with the help of some new bulbs)

Probably they got a manager come in and say "What? You're giving them away? We could charge for those!" Perhaps in a few months when they are overrun they'll start giving them away again :p

Of course giving away freebies such as this keeps you coming into the shop and while you're there you may buy other things, but businesses can be quite short sighted sometimes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom