mini canister filters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to start a shrimp tank, 1g. i need to get a filter for it and i stumbled upon these mini canister filters, they say they are rated for 20-30g tanks, and one claims to have a turn over rate of 80g/hr.
- I was wondering if anyone has ever used one before?

I am also looking for insight about it because i am need to get a new filter for my 10g fry/baby tank, and i am looking for something more powerful then my lame HOB filter (aka cheep walmart 10g filter for when i really knew nothing about fish).

i have a fluval 305 on my 60g hex and i love it! so would a mini version work?

i mini hob wont work on that 1g because of the lid so i am unsure what to do.. suggestions?

Which specific one are you looking at? Is it the Tom Rapids one?

You could actually build 1 pretty easily and very economically that might work better, especially on a tank that size.

You could also probably get away with no filter on a tank that size if you are going to plant it heavily.

i was looking at 2 that are sold on amazon: yes the TOM and there is a zoo med one that is i guess for turtles...

could you please explain to me your idea of build one? i am very interested in that, im just like the other fish hobbiest, :)

yeah with the 1g, your right. and it will be pretty heavily planted, as it is going to be home to some ghost or cherry shrimp

but there is also the case of my 10g tank, (this also applies to the shrimp tank) i need to find a way to make sure that the babies are not sucked up into the filter

To build one, you can use some plastic tupper ware type containers. put in a small water pump, drill some holes for some inlet and outlet hoses, and fill it with filter media of your choosing. You could probably do it for $20-30 and it would be right sized. Haven't read much on the zoo med one, but I had looked pretty heavily at the TOM and from what I saw, there are some issues with the seals leaking after awhile, and losing a lot of flow rather quickly. I did not buy it.

You can cover the inlet for whatever filter you choose with some sponge. That will keep the shrimp out.

well that is definetly something to look into, although i kind of figure if it is going to cost that price, i would rather just wing it and order one for $24 or $29, it might be worth a shot they do have alot of good reviews
'
- something that i am worried about is the fact that people claim that the water current is to strong, these are people with 5g tanks, so it may not be an option for my 1g shrimp tank but maybe my 10g fry tank.

-- anyone else have input, experience, or suggestions about mini filters and/ or filters for smaller tanks? in my case 1g, and 10g

If you go for the zoomed turtle filter, it works quite well. I've got one for one of my tanks, easy to prime and clean. Current shouldn't be too strong if you keep the outtake towards the surface. It comes with a spraybar as well.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom