Mini or recycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Changed out substrate a few days ago, left canister filter off for ~3 hours. I put the fish that were in there (15 feeder guppies) into a breeder box. A day later, I checked ammonia and nitrite.
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.5

shadowstars123 said:
Changed out substrate a few days ago, left canister filter off for ~3 hours. I put the fish that were in there (15 feeder guppies) into a breeder box. A day later, I checked ammonia and nitrite.
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.5

Did the canister filter media stay wet for those three hours? If not, combined with the change of gravel, yes, you potentially did recycle.

jetajockey said:
Its likely just a mini cycle. The substrate holds a lot of nitrifying bacteria in it, and it takes some time for it to collect biofilm and repopulate the bacteria colony.

Ya, the only problem is, if that filter media dried out... The whole thing could recycle...

Its likely just a mini cycle. The substrate holds a lot of nitrifying bacteria in it, and it takes some time for it to collect biofilm and repopulate the bacteria colony.

I'm keeping the fish inside my tank as of right now inside a breeding net ( guppies ) because I don't want to catch them again when I remove them for the discus. Is this affecting it? Cause I see poop all over the floor of the breeding net.

shadowstars123 said:
Yeah, totally wet, but no airstone, surface movement... So no oxygen.

Then yes, as jet a jockey said, it was a mini cycle. I think you'll be ok. Just watch your water parameters, and you'll be fine.

shadowstars123 said:
I'm keeping the fish inside my tank as of right now inside a breeding net ( guppies ) because I don't want to catch them again when I remove them for the discus. Is this affecting it? Cause I see poop all over the floor of the breeding net.

Not really... Where a fish is in a tank doesn't really affect much. It's probably very stressful for the guppies though.

I'd start looking at doing extra PWC until your readings go back down.

Back
Top Bottom