Minimalistic??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normal9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I've had my tropical tank set up for almost 2 years and still find it really hard work to clean.

I've currently got 5 bronze cories 10 neon tetra and 1 dwarf gourami. I know cories like to hide but would I be ok to take out a lot of the decorations I have?

I'm wanting more of a minimalist tank set up.

Pic below is my current tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414169360.608761.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's very difficult using a siphon because of all the decorations and having to keep removing them takes time

Oh and how big is the tank?

You don't have to have so much stuff in the tank, if moving things is a problem.

You don't have to get every square inch of the substrate. I suspect you may be making this more difficult than it has to be.

It's 48litres.

I've only been moving things in the last few months because there's so much waste build up. I think I'm overstocked but not much I can do about it at the moment

I've found that sand is far easier to keep clean than gravel. Waste stays on top of the sand which means more is sucked into the filter. Also means it tends to collect in certain places because of the current in the tank, making it that much easier to clean up.

Making the switch on your tank would require a little work, but it's a small tank so it would literally be a little work.

Also, what exactly are you feeding them? Quality of food makes a big difference.

I've been told that sand is hard work as you have to keep topping it up.

I've always fed them tetra pro colour and algae pellets for the cories

No, I don't think anyone who told you that had kept a sand tank. Or they do not know how to use a vacuum with sand. One or the other.

I can go into great depth explaining why you should toss those foods and switch to a high quality pellet. That's definitely contributing to how dirty the tank is getting. Switching to sand and switching to pellets go hand in hand. The sand keeps the food on top for the fish to eat, so the uneaten food does not just collect like it does with gravel. If you feed to much it's easy to just scoop it out with a net.

Corys are not algae eaters - they don't need special food, just a high quality staple like New Life Spectrum.

What do you have for filtration?

I've got the fluval U2 but the current seems quite strong

Which would be the best nls food for the species I've got? X

I don't have any experience with that filter, but I generally dislike internal filters. I just don't think they do as good of a job. Fluval is a top shelf brand though, so were I to use one I'm sure that would be the one.

I think substrate and food changes are honestly all you need. I like the Thera A formula because of the extra garlic.

Brilliant. Thanks so much for all your help. I've found Thera A on Amazon and it's the same price as tetra pro colour but double the quantity ? order placed x

Double the quantity and you won't have to feed as much because there's more usable substance in them than the tetra food

Even better! ?

I will suggest for your tetras get the .5mm pellets. The cories will love the 1mm pellets.

I feed my fish New Life Spectrum Community Formula, and they go nuts over it. I also feed some frozen foods as a treat.

Thanks. I feed them bloodworm once a week

I never had a problem with neons eating the 1 mm, but it's better to go smaller than bigger. I only reserve the 0.5 mm for the smallest of small fish.

Back
Top Bottom