minimum tank size for school of adult bala sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about upgrading my 55 gallon to a tank that is large enough for a small school of bala sharks.

How large of a tank would I need for 4-5 bala sharks to comfortably grow to maturity? The tankmates would likely be a few platies and gouramies, a couple of dwarf plecos and a school of cories.

120 gallons? 150 gallons? more?

I think 120gallons would be fine that would provide ample room for them to swim freely as well as the width for the full grown shark to turn around. Also a 120 will give you options of putting more fish in the tank.

The 120, a 180 or 155G bowfront..

The reason I mention the last 2 is the length. They maintain the 2' depth, but get 6' in length, this will allow them some space to stretch their fins. Balas are very fast and can easily clear 4', they are also incredibly stupid and will slam into the glass, this may result in a "tank buster" effect.. If you go with 120Gal then Acrylic might be a good idea.

Also, a standard AGA 125 would give you a 6 foot tank if a 150 or 180 isn't in your budget. A 6 foot tank really is better for a school of balas.

Thanks for the info. Price isn't the limiting factor so much as the weak floor on my second floor apartment... I know there are some good threads on here about tank weight, I'd better go check them out.

I would definately be concerned about the floor, I put my 75 and later my 120 in the basement since each can weigh in at about 1/2 a tonne (the floor will probably handle it, as long as you don't have more then 1 person in the room that walks very gently.) There was a good discussion about this, and I can't remember the thread, Chances are it's not going to be happy bearing all that weight.

My Bala Sharks (4-5inch) can cover the length of my 125 (six foot) very quickly . I hope they slow down with age or as they approach the one foot mark they may get sore heads .

I would recommend a 6ft tank as well 125 minimum, 180 would be better but since your on the second floor I would check with any restrictions with your complex as well as will the floor hold that size tank when filled. A 4 foot tank, even a 5 foot, seems too short for 4-5 fish that should get up too 1 foot.

I have 4 bala sharks in my 120G, and they plenty of room to swim. Now my 120G in the basement. I have read a long time ago, when I was going to get my 120G that if you put the each side of the aquarium on the boards that go across the floor to help support, also helps support the aquarium. But I still would not even trust that, that is why I stuck mine in the basement so I would not have to deal with that headache.

http://african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

I don't know if this is going to help, I just kind of scammed though it.

Thanks for the links. I found a great thread on here with a link to an article written by an engineer. Sadly, I think I'm going to have to wait on the upgrade until I move somewhere that can accomodate the weight. How sad! :(

Back
Top Bottom