Minimum tank size of 1 Angel fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aliray

Aquarium Advice Freak
There are so many different opinions on different sites on the internet relating to the minimum tank size to keep one standard angel fish in from 20 gal high to 40 gallons.. @Andy Sager I know you keep them . I am not talking about super veiltail , just one Koi Angel fish as a centerpiece with harlequin rasboras and cherry barbs? I have read a pair in a 29 gal. This a question that I can't seem to find a reasonable answer to when it comes to one. Mine is at the moment in a 20 high with a body size just over quarter size. Just wondering what others would think is the minimum size for one?:thanks:Alison

There are so many different opinions on different sites on the internet relating to the minimum tank size to keep one standard angel fish in from 20 gal high to 40 gallons.. @Andy Sager I know you keep them . I am not talking about super veiltail , just one Koi Angel fish as a centerpiece with harlequin rasboras and cherry barbs? I have read a pair in a 29 gal. This a question that I can't seem to find a reasonable answer to when it comes to one. Mine is at the moment in a 20 high with a body size just over quarter size. Just wondering what others would think is the minimum size for one?:thanks:Alison

Hi Aliray, I know you from another forum (Granted not very well) A 20 gallon would be the minimum to keep your angel happy and healthy IMO,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Aliray, I know you from another forum (Granted not very well) A 20 gallon would be the minimum to keep your angel happy and healthy IMO,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Thank you both . that is what I thought, but speaking of the other forum
:confused: I had just read a post that said a 25 gal was too small for one angel. Sparky is my first and only angel that I have ever kept so I was checking my facts as my personal experience with keeping them is limited to about one month, although I have kept fish on and off for 60 years. :D. Do you use the same name on the other forum? It is very nice to meet you. I use both forums . And like both of them . Sparky will end up going into my 29 gallon eventually when it gets set up, reason being that he will make fish snacks out of his current tank mates as he lives with neon tetras and ember tetras and a pleco. :thanks:Alison

General rule of thumb is:
20 gallons for the first Angel and ten gallons for each Angel after that.

I'm breeding angelfish in a 20 gallon and a 29 gallon (one pair in each). I've also had an angelfish solo in a community in a 29 and a 55. Not quite Andy, but here's my observations:

I think a 20 gallon is perfectly adequate for an angelfish (or a pair). But they'll be a bunch happier in a 29 and significantly happier in a 55. They do appreciate more room! But that's true of any fish.

I think the reason there are so many opinions is because of different fish being kept with the Angel. For example, a smaller Angel in with smaller fish that stay small ( with the hopes that familiarity will prevent the Angel from eating the smaller fish when it grows) will have different needs than one the same size in a tank of fish that do get larger and will require more space as they too grow. So there's a conflict right there. :blink:

So, to better answer your question of a single Angle, you need to address the other fish being kept with it. You wrote that you plan on keeping smaller fish in with it so for those fish and the Angel, I would think a 20 gal would be fine. HOWEVER, ( you knew that was coming didn't ya? ;)) Angels are not really solitary fish so don't be surprised if it does not do super well alone. If this happens, it is more likely to be a social issue more than a tank size issue. ( see FYI below.) In this case, a bigger tank would be necessary for multiple fish. How big is based on your budget. A poorly set up large tank is not better than a properly set up small tank. But with fish, as previously stated, the bigger the better. With Angelfish, you need to consider dimensions of the tank more than gallons of water. A tall tank is better for them than a long length and short height tank no matter what the gallonage. So, for example, a 29 gal tank is better for an Angel than a 20 gal long even tho they are the same length and width. It's not because of the extra gallons but because of the extra height. If you just had the Rasboras and Cherry barbs, the 20 long would be fine.(y)

Hope this makes sense. (y)

FYI: I keep my pairs mostly in 10 gal tanks and they are perfectly content. This is because of the way they are set up and their only tank mates are a small pleco for cleanup duty. They breed like crazy in this size tanks so I know they are not having issues with the space. Now, if I wanted to keep more than the 1 pair, the tank would be too small, even for just 1 more fish. I have a trio in a 20 long because a 20 high wouldn't be enough space. Same gallons, different dimensions. See? ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

I think the reason there are so many opinions is because of different fish being kept with the Angel. For example, a smaller Angel in with smaller fish that stay small ( with the hopes that familiarity will prevent the Angel from eating the smaller fish when it grows) will have different needs than one the same size in a tank of fish that do get larger and will require more space as they too grow. So there's a conflict right there. :blink:

So, to better answer your question of a single Angle, you need to address the other fish being kept with it. You wrote that you plan on keeping smaller fish in with it so for those fish and the Angel, I would think a 20 gal would be fine. HOWEVER, ( you knew that was coming didn't ya? ;)) Angels are not really solitary fish so don't be surprised if it does not do super well alone. If this happens, it is more likely to be a social issue more than a tank size issue. ( see FYI below.) In this case, a bigger tank would be necessary for multiple fish. How big is based on your budget. A poorly set up large tank is not better than a properly set up small tank. But with fish, as previously stated, the bigger the better. With Angelfish, you need to consider dimensions of the tank more than gallons of water. A tall tank is better for them than a long length and short height tank no matter what the gallonage. So, for example, a 29 gal tank is better for an Angel than a 20 gal long even tho they are the same length and width. It's not because of the extra gallons but because of the extra height. If you just had the Rasboras and Cherry barbs, the 20 long would be fine.(y)

Hope this makes sense. (y)

FYI: I keep my pairs mostly in 10 gal tanks and they are perfectly content. This is because of the way they are set up and their only tank mates are a small pleco for cleanup duty. They breed like crazy in this size tanks so I know they are not having issues with the space. Now, if I wanted to keep more than the 1 pair, the tank would be too small, even for just 1 more fish. I have a trio in a 20 long because a 20 high wouldn't be enough space. Same gallons, different dimensions. See? ;)

Hope this helps. (y)
I have the 29 gal waiting to be set up as soon as hubby can lift, he is recovering from rotator cuff surgery. Due to medical issues and old age it will be my last and biggest tank. What I am doing is reshuffling fish from three 10 gal tanks and combining all the fish into the 20 gal where the angel is now, and the 29 standard tank with the cherry barbs rasboras and two female BN plecos. The 20 is my tetra tank and has my male abn pleco. Hopefully in mid Jan we can set it up and get everybody moved and the other 10 gal off my kitchen counter. The only other fish I would like to add is a few ember tetras with the other three in the 20 gal as I had lost three when the heater malfunctioned. Right now the poor things think their neon tetras. Thank you so much for the answers both of you. I have never kept an angel before as you can tell, but do not want another one as no babies allowed. :whistle::thanks:Alison

I have 7 angelfish in a 150 gallon tank, along with 6 geophagus. I like to purchase my fish as juveniles, feed them well, and perform 40% weekly water changes. As a result, my angelfish are all pretty big. I don't think that any of them would be happy in a 20 gallon tank, even kept individually.

I have 7 angelfish in a 150 gallon tank, along with 6 geophagus. I like to purchase my fish as juveniles, feed them well, and perform 40% weekly water changes. As a result, my angelfish are all pretty big. I don't think that any of them would be happy in a 20 gallon tank, even kept individually.
Thank you also for you answer. mine will end up in the 29 next month. I could not handle a tank of that size at my age , just a couple months shy of 70. so this will have to do. I just want one as a centerpiece for the tank and to be the king or queen of the tank with 8 cherry barbs, 5 harlequin rasboras and 2 female bn plecos. I do not plan on getting any more just Sparky. Alison:)

This tank has to be a sight to see! If not a problem, I would love to see a picture of it.
How are the angels getting along? I know its a big tank but I also know how these fish behave.

I think 29 is the minimum size for one Angel in the long run. Personally I kept one in a 37 which was the same footprint as 29, but it was taller. When I moved I gave my angelfish to someone who had a 29 gallon and he didn't look too cramped and I was satisfied that he was going to a good home.

I think 29 is the minimum size for one Angel in the long run. Personally I kept one in a 37 which was the same footprint as 29, but it was taller. When I moved I gave my angelfish to someone who had a 29 gallon and he didn't look too cramped and I was satisfied that he was going to a good home.
Thank you for your post. Hopefully Sparky will be happy:)

I have 2 who have paired up and spawn on a regular basis, but I don't have the time or the space to raise the fry. This comment applies both to the Angelfish and Geophagus.

Back
Top Bottom