Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Minnows in a Fridge?

This is more out of pure curiosity than anything. I was watching my coworker open our fridge at the office and she pulled some food out of her drawer. It was probably 3-5 gallons. Yes, I size every container that I see for fish now.

Anyway, I know cold water fish can be kept in water near freezing temperatures. Could you house fish in a refrigerator drawer? No, I'm not going to try this and it's ridiculous to ask, but sometimes you just wonder.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't really think that's a good idea. Refrigerators keep water around 40 degrees don't they? That seems too cold even for cold water fish.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

For a while, perhaps. For instance, goldfish in small ponds/creeks/etc. around here survive water temps in the 30's or 40's through the winter. The surface may freeze over, but they'll survive if there's some oxygenation. They won't really eat in that period though.

If you looked, there are wild fish that naturally live in near freezing, or even below freezing, water...but they aren't worth it.
Sidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
My aunt who lives in Canada told me about a neighbor's koi pond freezing over the winter, but you could still see the fish swimming below the thin layer of ice. I'm not sure if they survived the entire winter though.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
My aunt who lives in Canada told me about a neighbor's koi pond freezing over the winter, but you could still see the fish swimming below the thin layer of ice. I'm not sure if they survived the entire winter though.
As long as the entire pond didn't freeze over the koi are fine.

As for the OP's question it's definitely possible, the problem is 1. finding a fish that will stay small enough and 2. how are you going to view the fish? Now something like a wine-rack cooler would be much better since it normally has a clear glass/acrylic front that allows you to see inside....but I digress.

Tags
minnow, minnows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com