Minnows in a Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is more out of pure curiosity than anything. I was watching my coworker open our fridge at the office and she pulled some food out of her drawer. It was probably 3-5 gallons. Yes, I size every container that I see for fish now.

Anyway, I know cold water fish can be kept in water near freezing temperatures. Could you house fish in a refrigerator drawer? No, I'm not going to try this and it's ridiculous to ask, but sometimes you just wonder.

I don't really think that's a good idea. Refrigerators keep water around 40 degrees don't they? That seems too cold even for cold water fish.

For a while, perhaps. For instance, goldfish in small ponds/creeks/etc. around here survive water temps in the 30's or 40's through the winter. The surface may freeze over, but they'll survive if there's some oxygenation. They won't really eat in that period though.

If you looked, there are wild fish that naturally live in near freezing, or even below freezing, water...but they aren't worth it.

My aunt who lives in Canada told me about a neighbor's koi pond freezing over the winter, but you could still see the fish swimming below the thin layer of ice. I'm not sure if they survived the entire winter though.

Stephen said:
My aunt who lives in Canada told me about a neighbor's koi pond freezing over the winter, but you could still see the fish swimming below the thin layer of ice. I'm not sure if they survived the entire winter though.

As long as the entire pond didn't freeze over the koi are fine.

As for the OP's question it's definitely possible, the problem is 1. finding a fish that will stay small enough and 2. how are you going to view the fish? Now something like a wine-rack cooler would be much better since it normally has a clear glass/acrylic front that allows you to see inside....but I digress. :)

Back
Top Bottom