Minor catastrophe avoided

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got off of work at 7 today and I planned on taking my 2 jewel cichlids to the lfs for credit (just not a fan of em). I came home and started prepping for the transfer. I got one out fairly easy (which is great for me because there really is nothing I hate more than knocking all my decor over trying to chase guys into the net) and went searching for the second one. I realized I should prob. turn off my filter because I didnt want to clog it up. I go to turn it off and guess what...it was already off. I had a penguin 200 and it completely went down and the kicker is...it was only 2 weeks old. At this time its 8:15 pm and im hightailing it to petsmart to exchange it for an aquaclear (which is far superior now that i have one). I also picked up another blood parrot for my 250 build and a female betta (who is currently having a stare down with my other female betta) for my wife. I had not planned on this but if i hadnt realized that it went down it wouldve been a bad night for my guys in there. All is well though and im having a drink after all that :drinking:(or not..still recovering from st. patties)

Yikes! Same thing happened to me with a Whisper AND AquaTech. Thankfully the Whisper was on the betta tank, so not a huge emergency, but the AT was on the guppy tank, but it stopping actually woke me up, since it's one of my worst fears!
Glad you caught it in time! I have 3 Marineland filters, and have never had a problem.
And congrats on your new fish! I would like to see pics of the betta ladies! :D

Yikes! Same thing happened to me with a Whisper AND AquaTech. Thankfully the Whisper was on the betta tank, so not a huge emergency, but the AT was on the guppy tank, but it stopping actually woke me up, since it's one of my worst fears!
Glad you caught it in time! I have 3 Marineland filters, and have never had a problem.
And congrats on your new fish! I would like to see pics of the betta ladies! :D

Ill try and get a pic up tomorrow cuz the ladies were stressing eachother so I turned the light off. That is if I have time away from staining my 250 stand :)

Yeah. They're in my community tank. My original betta initiates all the beef, but the new one flares up and swims away. I figure since there both females they'll be fine, right? They don't nip or fight just flare, circle and swim away.

LOL, I meant for them to all be together, odd numbers are usually better. But you can also get ANOTHER male betta to go in the kitchen! A friend of mine just tried to rescue a pure white one, (which are pretty rare in the pet stores), but sadly he was too far gone to be saved. :( I consider 3 of my 4 bettas as rescues, 2 of which were being fed goldfish food, they couldn't make their bodies straight in the tiny cups they were in, they are older, and I don't know if their water was every changed. :( I have pics of them now in the post I made earlier today, My Aqua-Kids," they are the pink and maroon ones. :( Poor babies.

LOL, I meant for them to all be together, odd numbers are usually better. But you can also get ANOTHER male betta to go in the kitchen! A friend of mine just tried to rescue a pure white one, (which are pretty rare in the pet stores), but sadly he was too far gone to be saved. :( I consider 3 of my 4 bettas as rescues, 2 of which were being fed goldfish food, they couldn't make their bodies straight in the tiny cups they were in, they are older, and I don't know if their water was every changed. :( I have pics of them now in the post I made earlier today, My Aqua-Kids," they are the pink and maroon ones. :( Poor babies.

Oh ill be down to put the females togeather but she just wants them in something bigger than a cup. I don't have any males they are pretty but I don't know if I want to put the effort in for just one guy. Plus I like the females because nobody every picks them cuz they don't have the flowy fins.

True. And either way, you would be rescuing one! Then maybe you should get 3 more females!
People don't know how pretty the females can actually be with some clean water and TLC! :D

See now you need to get a long tank, like a 55g and make dividers for it. Have males on either end and females in the middle. That's how we did a 20L. It's really fun :)

I woke up and the two females are all aquainted now, wierd how one night does that. And my AC50 is awesome, it has cleared up my water like the penguin never has. Its my first filter without carbon/purigen in it too.

Back
Top Bottom