Miracle fish: A story of survival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last Friday I went to the lfs and bought some fish. (2 mollies one platy). I was in a hurry, and after acclimating the fish for about 20 minutes I let them into the tank and tossed the bag into the garbage.

Then I went away for Memorial Day, and was gone until Tuesday.

Sometimes on Wednesday, I gathered up the trash to bring it out for garbage day. And to my horror, I saw a fish in the bag! My female platy never made it into the tank. In my rush I threw out the bag with her in it. Sadly, I lifted up the bag- and to my amazement, she moved! There was only enough water in the bag to cover her- yet she survived for 6 days in the garbage!!!!

I can't believe it. Soon she was swimming happily around my tank and is doing great. I don't usually name my fish, but I had to name her- Miracle, Mira for short. I am so happy! I've now had her for over a week in the tank and she is doing fine, frisky as anything.

What a story! Has anyone else had a story of fish survival like that?

Have had a koi that jumped out of the pond (big koi 12"+) Lasted for an entire night without any water at all. He's still going strong.

EDIT: It's a She, saw her lay eggs this spring.

That's awesome! They are a whole lot more resilient than we sometimes give them credit for. I caught our cat with a fish once. Cut up and mostly dry. Threw it into the QT and treated for infection. It is still swimming happily around it's, now covered, tank. :)

I had a nemo jump out of my tank and was out for at least an hour. It looked dead. Put in tank and it sank to the bottom. Couple hours later it was swimming face down. Couple hour after that it was swimming belly up. Then it slowly started to swim normal. That was almost a year ago and now he is fine. Glad yours had a happy ending too!

My story now - about three weeks ago I was breaking down a 5 gallon tank that had three cories and a clown pleco - found the cories and put them in the new 20 gallon tank and looked all over the tank for the pleco - no pleco! Took the artificial log from the 5 gallon and put it in a large bowl - filled it with water and every three or four days would run some fresh water in the bowl to keep the log clean. Last Thursday when doing a PWC - my sister was working with the bowl and log and let out a big scream - there was a small "cubby hole" where the pleco was able to get into in that log - no food or constant water temp - put him the the same tank the cories were in and he is now doing great!

Back
Top Bottom