Missing: Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
The weirdest thing happened....

I have a male beta in a 10gal. 4 months ago, I put an algae eater in there. I knew what could happen... and I knew it might upset the beta and he could attack... so I was very cautious and always was keeping my eye on them. For the first few weeks, my beta flared at the algae eater occasionally, but that was it! After that they showed no signs that they didnt like eachother. I have heard of some beta's actually attacking them, however I have a friend who has a beta that lives in peace with other fish. Anyways, it seemed as though they minded thier own business after that.

Like I said its been about 4 months since I put that algae eater in that tank. Last week when I was feeding the beta I didnt see the algae eater- figured he was hiding in the hiding spot he sometimes did so I didnt think anything of it. The next day, I did a water change, I didnt see an algae eater AT ALL! I looked all over and NOTHING! I thought that was the weirdest thing since 2 days ago I saw him and he definitely was alive and now he was gone. The thought of my beta eating him came to my head.... I checked for "debris" and didnt see any evidence. But he had to! Where else would he go? The funny thing was that I checked the tank today and there is a huge bubblenest now. I havnt seen one of those in a while. Its almost like the beta is happy to be alone now.

The algae eater was bigger than my beta. If he ate him, how the heck did he manage to do that! All in a day! Just curious. I will never try to give a beta a tank mate again!!! :oops:

I doubt the Betta ate every bit of the algae eater in such a short time. Betta's have very small stomachs and there would still be somthing left over even if. I'd keep looking around the tank. If the algae eater has died for whatever reason it may be a different color and might not be easily noticed.

Another possibility is that the little dude might have gotten sucked up during gravel vacuming. I almost did this on accident to one of my Otos... scared the heck out of him. Just keep your eyes open but regardless I doubt your Betta was heavily involved in this.

Good luck!

I lost a rubberlip pleco in a similar fashion - no evidence was ever found, even when I took the tank down completely. I think it died for whatever reason and over a few days the fish consumed his remains, though I would have expected to see something left behind.

Do you have any of those resin simulated wood decorations, or caves that he might get stuck in? I have lost fish that way, too.

There had been a couple of threads recently in which fish have been stuck in the tank decor--double check for your piece of mind!

I was able to get to my lfs last night and ask the owner (since she keeps a lot of betas). She said one time something similar happened to her. However, she had JUST put in a plecostomus when she noticed the beta was attacking it immediately. She stated she went to grab a net, but by the time she got there it was already too late for the plecostomus and he had been eatten up. I found that hard to believe in just a matter of minutes that happened, but I guess you dont know.

I will check the decor again. Thanks.

Check all around the floor outside the tank also. Do you have any dogs or cats? If the fish jumped out... you get the picture. It has been known to happen. Not trying to be mean, just raising the possibility.

I once too had a Siamese Algae Eater go missing. I eventually found him under the stand where the tank sits. He was dried up and covered in dust, which seems to indicate that after he jumped the tank, he struggled on the floor for awhile before expiring. He was already all dried out and stiff by the time I got home from work that day. After that, I made a custom cover template for my tank, and plan to have a custom acrylic top made from this template. :(

Back
Top Bottom