Missing Clown Loach!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have 2 baby clown loaches, roughly 4 centimetres each and I am aware of their adult size and will be moved to a larger tank in the future but one of the 2 has vanished into thin air with the last 24 hours and don't have a clue where he is :(

Did a 35% water change today, vacuumed the gravel, moved some caves and other ornaments and found one hiding, the other one, just gone :ermm: I've disturbed the gravel which caused cloudy water but has cleared pretty fast, ran hands through the live plants, nothing.

Checked behind tank and cabinet, nothing. Where could he be? :nono:

do you have fake decor? I had one who hid in an old piece I had. Even picking it up and moving it he wouldn't come out. I thought for sure he was gone when I had fuzzy stuff floating around, looked like he died and rotted in there. Hadn't seen him in like three weeks either! Then magically he reappears! Just very good at hiding to, he is almost two inches long.

Yeah most likely just hiding very well. They are famous for squeezing into tight spaces so don't fret he will reappear

:agree::agree: you would be surprised at how many clowns you can fit in a shoebox! If they are not hiding from you they trick you into thinking they are dead by lying on there side. Maybe that's why we call them clowns!

Had the same problem with my zebra loaches. When they are hiding I can never find. Move everything in tack. Was convinced first time that they disappeared into thin air. Guess it is a loach thing

Had the same problem with my zebra loaches. When they are hiding I can never find. Move everything in tack. Was convinced first time that they disappeared into thin air. Guess it is a loach thing

I kept Botia Almorhae, used to be Lohachata , Pakistani or yo-yo loach. I only ever saw them at feeding time. Just beady eyes peering at me. Still a great family of fish though.
Many times I've moved tanks, you have to strip everything out, it's like how on earth did all of you fit under that!! Then they hide under each other!

So I have 2 baby clown loaches, roughly 4 centimetres each and I am aware of their adult size and will be moved to a larger tank in the future but one of the 2 has vanished into thin air with the last 24 hours and don't have a clue where he is :(

Did a 35% water change today, vacuumed the gravel, moved some caves and other ornaments and found one hiding, the other one, just gone :ermm: I've disturbed the gravel which caused cloudy water but has cleared pretty fast, ran hands through the live plants, nothing.

Checked behind tank and cabinet, nothing. Where could he be? :nono:

Clown loach have a complicated social hierarchy that is difficult to understand. They do best in groups as they are a shoaling species naturally. I would get more. 5-6 makes a tidy shoal. I've kept clown loach for 8 years.

They live for around thirty years, so get prepared for a long commitment! Apart from a puffer fish, the best thing you can see in my opinion is a shoal of clowns at dinner time. They prefer to eat at lights out. Include bloodworm (frozen) in the diet or they will succumb to skinny disease. They basically waste away to nothing.

I FOUND THEM XD They had managed to hide under a shall ornament and even though I picked it up twice, I missed them LOL

Thought it was dead!

Hi. Just had same happen to me, was given a clown loach from someone who was getting rid of tank, saw it in my tank for 2-3 days then gone, never saw any sign of it nor it's body so very confused. 3 weeks later did good tank clean and hidden in a fiberglass stone cave it was hiding, and very much alive and not wanting to come out. Who knows if it was always in there and moly coming out in the dark to feed, does not seem to have affected it!:hide:

Back
Top Bottom