Missing Danio an Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok this is weird and it's freaking me out. I'm missing one of my zebra danio and one pristella tetra. I don't know where they are. I lifted everything to see if they are hiding or died and got stuck and came up with nothing. I don't know where they could be and nothing in my tank could have eaten them.

The only thing I could think of is the python sucking them out. But I would have seen them flopping in the sink right? I looked at every inch of my tank minus digging the gravel out. What could have happened? Are they that good of a hider?

Have you checked inside the filter?

What other fish do you have in your tank? They could have died and been eaten.

Yes I checked the filter and nothing. Well I had 5 Danios and they would chase each other around but never seen them trying to kill each other or any other fish.

I have to say that the Pristella Tetra that is missing is the smallest of the 5 I have but its still bigger than my Neons so I dont know.

The only "big" fish I have in there is my black molly which is even only an inch long. I think im going to try to see if i can dig around the gravel some more because its just not possible to disappear out of nowhere. I'm at work now and will have to do this later this afternoon.

I had the same thing happen to one of my molleys. I even did the full tank cleaning, and I couldn't find him... I still don't know what happened to him.

Are you absolutely positive nothing in your tank would have eaten them?

Yes I checked the filter and nothing. Well I had 5 Danios and they would chase each other around but never seen them trying to kill each other or any other fish.

I have to say that the Pristella Tetra that is missing is the smallest of the 5 I have but its still bigger than my Neons so I dont know.

The only "big" fish I have in there is my black molly which is even only an inch long. I think im going to try to see if i can dig around the gravel some more because its just not possible to disappear out of nowhere. I'm at work now and will have to do this later this afternoon.

They probably aren't in the gravel. I'm thinking they may have passed away and the other fish ate them :lol:

Ok I have

1 bamboo shrimp
1 black molly
8 neon tetras
4 pristella tetras (was 5)
4 zebra danios (was 5)

You guys think any of these fishes could have eaten them? If they did die, could my remaining fishes have eaten them overnight without any left overs? I know it sounds silly but I would think they would have some remains right? I'm just afraid that I'm missing something and later on it will start fouling my water. I will do just one more thorough search when I get home and if I still dont find them, I will just blame all the other fishes.

I know this sounds stupid, but you have a lid on the tank right? I had a Danio 'hop ship' on me while I was feeding one time while I had the lid open. Maybe check, around the tank? Or if you have cats, they might have got to them.

Ok I have

1 bamboo shrimp
1 black molly
8 neon tetras
4 pristella tetras (was 5)
4 zebra danios (was 5)

You guys think any of these fishes could have eaten them? If they did die, could my remaining fishes have eaten them overnight without any left overs? I know it sounds silly but I would think they would have some remains right? I'm just afraid that I'm missing something and later on it will start fouling my water. I will do just one more thorough search when I get home and if I still dont find them, I will just blame all the other fishes.

I think that's exactly what happened.

The fish probably died and were eaten by your other fish. Even though they are not aggressive fish, if a fish is struggling or dead they will eat them it's in their nature to prey on the weak. It's very sad, they will eat their own babies and eat each other when they are weak lol

Of course I don't know for sure, but that's most likely what went down. Also like the above poster said they may have jumped out, even though these fish aren't really jumpers so that's much more unlikely.

I have a full hood and only open when cleaning or feeding. I will be going home in an hour. I called home and had my mom check and she said there is no fish on the floor. I will report in about an hour. I will be home fro. Work and will do one last thorough check.

Oh and I have no other animals in the house.

It's a possibility. Really, any fish is capable of jumping out of the tank. Especially danios.

Nope no fishes on the floor anywhere. I just did another thorough check and lifted everything up to see if they got stuck somewhere and nothing. I'm scratching my head at this point. Maybe my docile fishes are not that docile.

Back
Top Bottom