Missing fire eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible for my fire eel to be hiding so well I can't find him? I took everything out of my tank and ran my fingers through all the sand and nothing. There is no way for him to get out I cut the top to just fit around everything. I looked all over the outside of the tank too. The only place he could have hidden is in the castle but I took that out too. It's been two days not seeing him any suggestions? And nothing is big enough to eat him everything is small in the tank.

Oh yes, its VERY possible. My peacock eel hid so well I seen it once or twice in a month. I wrote him off as a causality and figured he decomposed into the gravel, and yes i searched high and low.How big is your eel and what size tank are they in?

Is it possible for my fire eel to be hiding so well I can't find him? I took everything out of my tank and ran my fingers through all the sand and nothing. There is no way for him to get out I cut the top to just fit around everything. I looked all over the outside of the tank too. The only place he could have hidden is in the castle but I took that out too. It's been two days not seeing him any suggestions? And nothing is big enough to eat him everything is small in the tank.
It is possible that he is hiding well, but I would do another thorough search around the tank. Spiny eels (or any eel/elongated fish) are great at fitting through surprisingly small spaces, and he most likely can wriggle a fair distance away.

I hope you find him! :(

He's about 4 1/2 or 5 inches and he's in a 75 gallon tank.

Sorry I'm not here to help but you made my night haha...

A picture of your missing eel haha
Reported Missing: $1000 for whoever reports him.

Sorry I might get you mad but it was kind of funny.

My only eel hides in a cave and kind of gets wraped around it(inside, hope I'm making sense), so shake that castle inside of the tank a little, it could help...

Hope I'm not about to get shot :hide:

Do do you run an external filter? I know of people that have lost their eels, only to find them again a month or so later when they take the top of the filter to do maintainance. He could even be in the internal filter if you have one.

Hope this helps. Good luck finding him.

I had a baby tiretrack eel missing for 2 months. I searched everywhere as you did. So i just assumed he got out and one of the dogs got him. I was bummed to say the least.
Well just recently i was feedin my pictus cats baby earthworms and out he popped! Like where's mine at. I'm hungry too!
If yours hasnt eaten in a while try dimming the lights and waving an earthworm thru the water column. Yours may suprise you as mine did. I hope so. Dont underestimate their sense of smell. Its very significant.
Goodluck.;)

Guinness I tore my filter apart to see if he was in there and it's a canister filter the slits are to small. Cichlid kid I hope he's in there somewhere, i put in ghost shrimp hoping he'd come out cause he's all over them when I put them in there. I don't want to lose him.

Well if the ghostshrimp dont work. Try earthworms too. I can almost guarantee if he's in there after that long with only scraps to eat he'll come out of hiding for worms!
Keep me updated. Goodluck

fadetoblack06 said:
Guinness I tore my filter apart to see if he was in there and it's a canister filter the slits are to small. Cichlid kid I hope he's in there somewhere, i put in ghost shrimp hoping he'd come out cause he's all over them when I put them in there. I don't want to lose him.

Ah ok it was just a thought, I really hope he pops his head out from somewhere soon. Good luck.

fadetoblack06 said:
Still missing I'm going to chalk it up to an expensive dinner for Someone in the tank.

I wouldn't say that quite yet

Back
Top Bottom