Missing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
This sounds crazy. But may be someone else has this problem. Every once in a while A fish or two is missing from the tank. This is a 37gal. community. with 4,used to be 5, angels. 1 had 5 cory cats. 2 blue mollies, 5 lemon tetras, 3 Siamese algae eater,2 Bristal nose plecas 3 females swords. i yoyo loach. The tank has been up since the end of Jan.2015. Planted tank. Today is Sunday. Lst Friday I had 5 Angels and a female beta. Sat I noticed 4 angels not five and the beta is missing. Today I did my water change and did not find any dead fish or any fragments of fish. Gone That is it. Last week Sunday I bought 4 cory cats and the female beta. Tues I did find ideas cory. But today I have only one cory, There is no deceases that I can see. The tank mates that have been in since the tank's been up are fine. The angels have been in since the end of Feb. Originally had 6 but I did have one die. I haven't seen any bullies in the tank. Do the fish eat the dead one that fast? Has anyone had this happen to them?:fish2:

Do you have cats? They love to fish in my tanks. This situation of missing fish has happened to me. And yes fish will eat other dead fish especially the plecos in my experience.

You probably need to address the underlying cause of the fish deaths. What are your water parameters? Did you quarantine the new fish at all before adding to the main tank? Are all the inhabitants getting enough food? With more info someone on here will be able to help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey swamp man I'm from your area and have been looking for lemon tetras. Where did you find them? Sorry to be off topic.

I think you should look seriously at your stocking level. seems to me like a lot of fish for 37 gal. are you doing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests and if so what are the results?

If you have a lot of catfish and bottomdwellers (corydoras, loaches, etc), yeah I've seen them eat a dead fish really quick. Fish are opportunistic.

Have you checked the floor behind the tank?

Your tank is ridiculously overstocked. It may be causing the water to foul quickly and the fish might jump to try and escape it. It also could be causing fish to die.

Your tank isn't big enough for yoyo loaches and you need to keep them in groups of at least 5.

Hi Chicago has many good fish stores. Pet and Fish in Oak park is a good one. There is a new one I found but haven't been there yet. Patriots pet shop in Oak Lawn. Take a look at those. Give them a call first.

Hi Chicago has many good fish stores. Pet and Fish in Oak park is a good one. There is a new one I found but haven't been there yet. Patriots pet shop in Oak Lawn. Take a look at those. Give them a call first.

Thanks swampman

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom