Missing pleco!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a yellow prince tiger pleco yesterday and now it's missing. I have checked in all my decors and in my 2 (1 AC70 and 1 Marineland penguin 350) filters but I can't find it. It's about 2-2.5 inch long.

Tankmates are 2 blood parrots (3") and 2 red severums (2"-3"), a rubberlip pleco (2') and an albino BN pleco (2").

My question is can it burrow in the gravel? I have medium sized gravel. Also is there a possibility it can jump out of the water? I have a small opening at the back of my hood for my air hose, about 2"x2" hole size.

First thing first, check the floor and behind your tank. And then check the tank again tonight. I have thought my Plecos were missing for well over a day and they just turned up at night or the next morning. Don't worry too much if it's only been today that you can't find it. I have almost torn my tank apart trying to find one and they just show up the next night.

Thanks skiweeangel. I saw the pleco this afternoon inside one of the decors that has lots of caves. It did not want to get out of it.

No problem. Although right now I need to take my own advice and just chill out. I haven't seen it all day and every now and then I get paranoid. Deep breath and relax. It'll come out and play.

I had a pleco that jumped out of the tank thru one of the small openings on either side of my filter. I found him dried up on the floor when I got home from work. It was about 8 inches and I'm very surprised he made it thru the opening. If you have any open spots I reccomend covering them.

The pleco is happily hiding now inside one of my decors which has a lot of caves :D. It doesn't like the light really, turning away as soon as I turn on the lights. I'm a little bit frustrated since he is a $60 fish and I prepped a really nice DW for him and the other plecos, but he decided to hide anyway. But as long as he is alive and happy, that will work for me.

I'm sorry for your loss. I have blocked the 2"x2" opening I have in my hood right now since I have read about some plecos jumping out of tanks.

I have a BS pleco and a RL pleco, I have a ton of wood and rocks and I never see them. Maybe once a week, and usually it's only the tail.

First thing first, check the floor and behind your tank. And then check the tank again tonight. I have thought my Plecos were missing for well over a day and they just turned up at night or the next morning. Don't worry too much if it's only been today that you can't find it. I have almost torn my tank apart trying to find one and they just show up the next night.

Happy you find it! :) The floor and behind your tank are the FIRST places you want to look. Bought a new common pleco about a two years ago.. It went missing, didn't think much of it.. Never appeared. UNTIL I moved to another city, moved the tank & stand and there it was, all mummified. :bawl:

Haven't had another since.

I've read that oversize sponges are fantastic for plugging up holes.. Just squish them until they fit the hole.

Back
Top Bottom