Missing Tetras??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So 2 weeks ago i bought 10 green fire tetras. about 5 days later, i was only counting 8. now, i only see 7. I dont think there sick, cause i haven't found bodies and they look good. The only fish who could eat them would be my BN pleco, who is about 4 inches. My angelfish gave up a while ago on chasing them. Im assuming the pleco is eating them at night... :hide:

It's most defiantly not the Pleco. They will eat dead fish from the bottom, but will never attack any fish. Maybe your angles finally got ahold of a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Look around the tank - under any and all decor, sift softly through the gravel, check around the filter... dead fish usually end up around the bottom and can go unnoticed... and the bodies can lead to spikes in your water parameters. Check thoroughly.

How big are the Angels?....you would be surprised how determined they are ..they might get sick of chasing but all it takes is for a little Tetra to get close enough for a split second and its a snack! I have adult Angels for a long time and have witnessed it first hand!

I know but he said he just got them so I am assuming there still small

Anyways AngelfishGirl is prob. Right check under decor and gravel also between the filter sometimes they get stuck in the intake!

Yea, ill sift around when a do a PWC tomorrow. The angel is only about 4 inches. the tetras are 1.

I would look as soon as possible dead disk will spike your ammonia

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Interesting. I am having the exact same mystery with a tank full of platy fry only. The number decreases by one a day. I did a water change today and sifted through all the gravel and nothing! I have nylon over the filter and none is stuck there. Water readings show no spike in ammonia and all other readings are fine. Mystery.

It's most defiantly not the Pleco. They will eat dead fish from the bottom, but will never attack any fish. Maybe your angles finally got ahold of a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Plecos can and have attack fish.. My Albino BN pleco (around 4 inches right now) has killed 3 of my cory catfish :(

I had a green neon go missing, found it swimming in the filter a couple days later, must got sucked up napping. Check there??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've kept the cousin of this fish, the Bloodfin Tetra Aphyocharax Anisitsi, and those things are vicious when left unfed. I went on a vacation for 2 or 3 days, and came back down one fish. I fed right before and right after I left but they got hungry while I was gone. So if those are like Bloodfins they will eat eachother, but I don't know if they could after only a few days together.

How often do you feed? I noticed aggression went down once I fed every day rather than every 2 days.

I've kept the cousin of this fish, the Bloodfin Tetra Aphyocharax Anisitsi, and those things are vicious when left unfed. I went on a vacation for 2 or 3 days, and came back down one fish. I fed right before and right after I left but they got hungry while I was gone. So if those are like Bloodfins they will eat eachother, but I don't know if they could after only a few days together.

How often do you feed? I noticed aggression went down once I fed every day rather than every 2 days.

Doesn't seem likely since i feed them on a regular basis...

Back
Top Bottom