mission save sharky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't put skirts with a Betta homedog was lucky. Also I don't know how a rainbowshark would be with the Betta. You could add some cardinal tetras or something of that size

No offense, but they've been kept together for what, 2 months? It's way too early IMO to call this a success given the lifespan of those fish. I certainly wouldn't recommend black skirts as tank mates for a betta, and TBH I wouldn't recommend a betta for the OP's setup at all.

*edit* Caveat emptor guys.
You can blame the stores all you want to, but at some point you have to take a good look at your own actions and accept some degree of personal responsibility. Research before those impulse buys will save you the $400 for a $5 fish.

Last edited:
No offense, but they've been kept together for what, 2 months? It's way too early IMO to call this a success given the lifespan of those fish. I certainly wouldn't recommend black skirts as tank mates for a betta, and TBH I wouldn't recommend a betta for the OP's setup at all.
why shouldnt i have a betta? none of the fish i have/want are nippy

The black skirts are, and the potential is there from the rainbow shark as well. Zebra danios are absolutely a candidate for nipping a betta as well.

The black skirts are, and the potential is there from the rainbow shark as well. Zebra danios are absolutely a candidate for nipping a betta as well.
if you had read the entire thread,you would know that i decided against black skirt tetras. i doubt my shark woud nip anything,hes really laid back,in my 20 all he does when fish goe in his territory is nudge them.if you think danios are a bad idea,any ideas for a second school?

if you had read the entire thread,you would know that i decided against black skirt tetras. i doubt my shark woud nip anything,hes really laid back,in my 20 all he does when fish goe in his territory is nudge them.if you think danios are a bad idea,any ideas for a second school?

I did read the entire thread, so no need to jump to conclusions. Actually, I just read the whole thing for the second time and didn't see you mention ANYWHERE in the thread that you had reconsidered the black skirts.

Smaller tetras are usually fine with a betta. Fish become more territorial with maturity and I'm guessing your shark is still small. You can get away with a lot more with juvenile fish but they mature eventually.

I did read the entire thread, so no need to jump to conclusions. Actually, I just read the whole thing for the second time and didn't see you mention ANYWHERE in the thread that you had reconsidered the black skirts.

Smaller tetras are usually fine with a betta. Fish become more territorial with maturity and I'm guessing your shark is still small. You can get away with a lot more with juvenile fish but they mature eventually.
my shark is like 3.5-4",i know hes not adult yet,but how much more aggressive can he get?how about i try a male,and if he doesnt wrk out get a 5 gal for him?

Do you realize how hard threads have gotten to read with all the off topic banter and one "sentence" posts based on many WEEKS of experience? :banghead:

Do you realize how hard threads have gotten to read with all the off topic banter and one "sentence" posts based on many WEEKS of experience? :banghead:
ive had him more than weeks...granted 6 months isnt a long time,but hows trying it with a male,and if it doesnt work getting him a 5?

I said many weeks. I view 6 as not many, 24 weeks as "many" weeks. I could edit it to state a few months experience, but I was attempting to be generous.

I said many weeks. I view 6 as not many, 24 weeks as "many" weeks. I could edit it to state a few months experience, but I was attempting to be generous.
okay,okay,you win,i dont know his personality yet

Experience doesn't really matter.research does. Rhe more research you do the better off you are

Research is invaluable indeed, but experience does matter as well. How could it not? Also the quality of your research is a huge factor. A paragraph or two on a forum or website is not enough to be dubbed "research" IMO.

HN1 said:
Research is invaluable indeed, but experience does matter as well. How could it not? Also the quality of your research is a huge factor. A paragraph or two on a forum or website is not enough to be dubbed "research" IMO.

I totally agree. And I meant experience is a lesser factor not that it totally doesn't matter sorry to confuse you. An example of research being more important than experience is that a guy might've been in the hobby for 10 years but never new about cycling, tank requirements, or overstocking.

a lot of pages i read said that it would probably work with a shark,unless the betta started picking on the shark,if that happens its bye bye betta.

forgot about the danios,the only people who said they nipped bettas always said someting along the lines of"i just put 2-3 zebra danios in my 2 gallon betta tank,and they nipped his fins". but i did read that the temp differences are pretty high(although theyve been bred in all sorts of temps for a llooooong time),and there activeness might stress out the betta,dont think the activenesswould be a problem,but ill see what you guys think.

There are a lot to choose from that would be ok. I would go with 2 or 3 max. Just stay away from the larger varieties, like Altums.

Maybe a fancy guppy?!

That would work fine as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of pages i read said that it would probably work with a shark,unless the betta started picking on the shark,if that happens its bye bye betta.

Have links to these? I'd love to reply / contact the authors. They are both cool fish in their own rights, but not compatible IME. Possibly in a large tank with minimal stocking, but I doubt that as well based on their individual preferences.

forgot about the danios,the only people who said they nipped bettas always said someting along the lines of"i just put 2-3 zebra danios in my 2 gallon betta tank,and they nipped his fins". but i did read that the temp differences are pretty high(although theyve been bred in all sorts of temps for a llooooong time),and there activeness might stress out the betta,dont think the activenesswould be a problem,but ill see what you guys think.

No fish (not even "nanos") should be kept in a 2G IMO. I could see why they were stressed.

id do fish like lemon tetras and rummynoses or cardinals nothing over 1.5 inches. i think the betta would be ok as long as you have a breader net red so when somebody gets attacked the betta goes in it and then you can setup the 5.

Back
Top Bottom