mission save sharky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
a little background info, petsmart sold me a rainbow shrk a few months ago,saying that" 20 gallons is fine for one",then i found out,that its not. after searching for tanks for a while,i found what i thought was a great deal. it wasnt. but i did get really nice lights out of it,and i found out the stuff i had too buy came with the kit i was looking at,and i would of had to replace it anyways,not feeling so ripped off anymofre. i bought some plants today(anubius and horwort) and put some java moss in too. the only fish im putting in for sure are 3-5 swordtails,and my rainbow shark. i want a male betta(id like to save one from the cups) and the fish i know for sure are going in arent nippy at all. id like a school of black skirt tetras,would they be okay with a betta? id also like either a clown pleco,a farlowella cat,or an upside down catfish, which would be better? and yes,i am fishless cycling,and using a lot of established media. id also like more plants,which kinds would you guys suggest?

in stead of the upside down cta,farlowella cat,or clown plec i said i wanted,how about a pair of dwarf cichlids and a school of zebra danios?

Wow, you're going to have quite a stocking list lol. First up, I'm not sure how the Betta will react to the swordtails... That could be a bit risky, but I suppose you could try it and have a backup plan. I'm thinking a Bolivian ram pair for the dwarfs, and the zebra danios would be cool too. Maybe something along these lines? (*'s are for my suggestions)
1 rainbow shark
3-5 swordtails
8 zebra danios
2 Bolivian rams (pair)
6 cories *
1 bristlenose pleco *
that'd probably be a good start... Whatcha think?

I think that a pair of dwarf cichlids some zebra danios the shark some corys and another schooler or angelfish would be an awesome stock list

I think that a pair of dwarf cichlids some zebra danios the shark some corys and another schooler or angelfish would be an awesome stock list
i dont bwant an angel,i want a betta. hows tjhis soun? 1 rainbow shark,pair of dwarf cichlids,a male betta,school of zebra danios,school of black skirt tetras,and a non-bottom feeder. the tank is pretty long,but between the dwarf cichlids and the shark i think the bottom is fairly well covered. any suggestions for a school to replace the corys?

alLexX said:
i dont bwant an angel,i want a betta. hows tjhis soun? 1 rainbow shark,pair of dwarf cichlids,a male betta,school of zebra danios,school of black skirt tetras,and a non-bottom feeder. the tank is pretty long,but between the dwarf cichlids and the shark i think the bottom is fairly well covered. any suggestions for a school to replace the corys?

I wouldn't put skirts with a Betta homedog was lucky. Also I don't know how a rainbowshark would be with the Betta. You could add some cardinal tetras or something of that size

alLexX said:

Black skirts and a betta... I may have gotten lucky... But I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Maybe rummynose tetras instead of black skirts? I wouldn't do 3 schools, maybe just up the #'s of the 2 you decide on. It'd definitely look cooler. So maybe this:
1 rainbow shark
2 dwarf cichlids (pair... Rams maybe?)
9 zebra danios
9 (non nippy schoolers)
1 betta
1 bristlenose pleco
I'm still holding strong on the BN. Then it'd only be 4 bottom feeders. Your tank can handle that.

I wouldn't put skirts with a Betta homedog was lucky. Also I don't know how a rainbowshark would be with the Betta. You could add some cardinal tetras or something of that size
my shark will be fine,hes incredibly laid back,even when someone enters his territory he just nudges them. i dont really like cardinals,do you have any other suggestions?

Black skirts and a betta... I may have gotten lucky... But I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Maybe rummynose tetras instead of black skirts? I wouldn't do 3 schools, maybe just up the #'s of the 2 you decide on. It'd definitely look cooler. So maybe this:
1 rainbow shark
2 dwarf cichlids (pair... Rams maybe?)
9 zebra danios
9 (non nippy schoolers)
1 betta
1 bristlenose pleco
I'm still holding strong on the BN. Then it'd only be 4 bottom feeders. Your tank can handle that.
not sure about BNs,i dont really like them,and there like $15. ill check out the rummynoses next time im at the LFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
allaboutfish said:

You're right... I am very lucky lol. I think the rainbow would work with the betta, as they're on 2 totally different tank spectrums (one top, one bottom) so they'd probably leave each other alone for the most part. Either way, add the shark an the betta LAST. (betta before shark) to minimize aggression. The only reason I say betta first is because the shark could easily take on a betta. Let the betta get established first.

I like lemon tetras more than rummynose tetras personally
ill see if my LFS has them

You're right... I am very lucky lol. I think the rainbow would work with the betta, as they're on 2 totally different tank spectrums (one top, one bottom) so they'd probably leave each other alone for the most part. Either way, add the shark an the betta LAST. (betta before shark) to minimize aggression. The only reason I say betta first is because the shark could easily take on a betta. Let the betta get established first.
any way i could add the shark earleir? i already have him,and want to get him outta my 20 ASAP

Last edited by a moderator:
alLexX said:
ill see if my LFS has them

any way i could add the shark earleir? i already have him,and want to get him outta my 20 ASAP

Not really... I suppose you could add the two at the same time... But he'd still need to go last.

00youknowit00 said:
My LFS did the same thing to me, I have a 20 and they sold me an albino rainbow shark.

And now you're going to wind up spending 400 dollars for a 5 dollar fish. Funny how it works isn't it?

I don't even talk to the people at duh stores. The time I did the dude said sand raised ph and I should switch it and that cockatoo apistos were aggressive.

Homedog98 said:
And now you're going to wind up spending 400 dollars for a 5 dollar fish. Funny how it works isn't it?

Yeah, its like they're screwing you over, all in their favor. And then there's also the guy there who says you can keep 3 angels in 18gal of water. I not sure if its stratigy or stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom