Mix and Match Cory cats - a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a tank with a single cory in it now - he's just a plain brown/bronze variety. If I were to add 2 of another type (panda, whatever), would they be happy together, or would he be excluded? Just how "mix and match" are they?

This has been discussed a lot here...

Some say if the close in appearance it'll be fine.
Others just stick with one kind to avoid the potential issue.

I have two spotted and one like you have and they get along famously.
But again,in overall appearance they are "kinda" similar.Not sure at all if an albino or panda would be welcome in the group.

I have 3 different cories in my 75G and they all get along great, and school together most of the time. I do believe numbers is more important than type. If your tank allows it, I would get at least 3 or 4 more cories. Mine are Green cories, Julii cories, and Panda cories.

I have a variety of cories in my tank as well and they all get along. I try to make sure there are 3 of each kind but once in a while you lose a fish and those numbers don't remain the same.

I'd also try to get about 3 of each type. If you can find the kind you have, get a few more. Then you can get another type also, if you have the room.

Its said that cories school by sight, but I believe they know the difference in the types. I have 2 kinds of spotted cories, sodalis and trilineatus in my 55g. I have 5 sodalis and 4 trilineatus. They are both spotted, but have some differences. They usually all hang out, but I do notice the separate types hanging out amongst their groups.

If you had 2 different cories, they will hang out together, that's their nature. But, they would be happier having more of their own type to socialize with.

hulkamaniac said:
I'd try to get half a dozen of each kind myself.

Well, 2 or 3 more is all I will be doing in the 29G. It looks like the final load will be 6-7 Tiger Barbs, 8 Neon's and 3-4 Corys. At adult size, that will pretty much max out the tank.

Alright wolf...cories get to about four inches (or at least the kind I have do/will) and pretty big around.Now I know they are bottom dwellers and that factors in some when stocking.I also know that the neons offer less bioload /inch then other fish.

But 8 is 32 inches,all at the bottom seems like a lot to me...or am I approaching the logic wrong?Not saying your wrong,just wondering where I might be wrong lol.

Also what would the adult size tiger barbs be considered "inch wise" iyo?
I have some,but they are young...maybe just over a quarter (the coin).

All corys are peaceful, so they will all get along regardless of size or species. Different species will hang out together, but they won't form a tight-knit group.

The disadvantage to having less than three of a kind is that you'll never see the full range of behavior that makes corys so fun to watch.

The bronze cories are one of the bigger types. I'd stick to a max number of 6. 4 or 5 would be ok. I woudn't mix them. They will entertain you more in a group of the same kind. They'll also be alot happier, so I'd think about the fish.

I'm in a tough situation right now. I have 1 common cory (originally had 3), and am hesitant to get anymore. Problem is my 6 tiger barbs basically ate the other 2 (the existing one seems to find places to hide/go unnoticed) constantly nipping the fins off. It was horrible to watch, and I don't want to have to go through that again (nor for the cory's). I only have a 20gallon, but have 6 tiger barbs, 6 other barbs, 2 Oto's (just lost 1 Oto this past week :( ), and the lone cory. I've thought of finding a cory at the LFS that is full grown (the other's where small/medium), and hoping he can fend off attacks, but in my small tank even now being heavily planted, I don't know if it will work.

Definately if your not running into problems I would get at least 2 more, and they all seem to be peaceful to each other so it might be nice to have a mix, but its ultimately your call.

Back
Top Bottom