Mix and Match Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to use a larger heater for a smaller tank without overheating the water? I have an adjustable heater for the 29 gallon that I am not using. The heater for the 10 automatically adjusts to 78. I think Alejandro will be fine with 78, but if I need to raise the temp (i.e. if he gets sick) would it hurt to use the other heater?

Yes it is possible to use too-big a heater. But it takes a lot of big to make it too big. It becomes a problem when your heater heats water too fast and harms the livestock. Shouldn't hurt to use a 30gal heater in a 10 gal if it has a thermostat oh and good circulation around it to keep hot spots from happening.

I am not sure exactly how many watts the other heater is, I got it with the tank so I don't have the box or anything. I know I was happy that it is adjustable because I am having a hard time finding those for some reason. Everyone is obsessed with the automatic ones. They are nifty but not if you need to raise temp or anything. My DP is sensitive to lots of meds so I have a feeling I will be needing salt and heat to treat anything he may come down with.

Fortunately since he is a loner for the moment, if you keep water conditions correct he should be disease-free!

I once used a heater from my 30G in a 10G, turned it all the way down, and found the temperature to hover in the 90s. That was no good, so if I were you I would test it first! You can get a 10g rubbermaid container for ~$15 if I am not mistaken. I got one by rubbermaid called "Roughneck" that I kept my betta in for a while, it was super sturdy. That can be a temporary QT and good spot to test out the heater if you want to.

Or, you can just get another small heater like the one for your 10g. That was what I ended up doing.

Its not really that big of a problem, as its adjustable for a reason...it adjust to whatever the setting is. Now as crepe said, you will have to watch (yes you can see the heater turn on and work) and make sure the temp doesnt go too high too fast. other than that youll be fine

More watts for the most part just means that your heater will spend less time on. However as others have said it means more heat will be coming off it when it is on.

Back
Top Bottom