Mixing a Female Betta with a Male Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a male betta at the moment and i read somewhere that someone has a female and a male and they dont fight.
Also i did read that someone tried it and the male harrased the female and bullied her that he was forced to move her into a different tank.
The female died from stress a few days after.

So is this a 50/50 chance or is there a greater chance of success?

there is probably a 99% chance that one of them will be killed and a 1% chance that they will coexist. But thats JMO.

I had tried breeding betta's and always wound up almost killing the female in the process and i never wound up with any babies. :?

My female betta got sick and tired of being "courted" by the male and ripped his long, feathery fins to shreds!!! 8O I had to seperate them ASAP. The only way it will work....IMO...is in a fairly large tank with pletny of plants, real or fake, for hiding.

HTH

Whatever you read was incorrect. Male and female bettas should only be housed together for breeding purposes, and only when they are actually ready to breed (male has built, or been building, bubble nest(s) )

Otherwise you're 99% guaranteed to have the same aggressive issues that you'd have with 2 males.
Even 2 females are likely to fight, unless the tank is very large and has some dominant structures (rocks, plants) to help define territories.

I have plenty of plants and some wood, granite, slate and my filter has acted as a hiding post in the past aswell.

But im guessing 21-23 gallons is too small?

I think i could put her in, then have the net at the ready, if there really aggressive i could catch her and take her back

The story you heard of a male and female betta living peacefully together is a rare instance. Such as two males living peacefully together. I would not advise putting both at risk for fighting and hurting eachother. Males should never be kept together, and females should be in a large enough group so that they can establish a pecking order, to level out the aggression towards eachother.

If you want a female or male betta, why have them hiding all the time or tearing eachother to shreds?

I'd just like the idea of a blue and red betta in the tank.

I dont think i should waste my time in buying one then.
If i did i was thinking i could just see what happens when i put the bag in the tank to equalise temperature. But if there's a 99% chance it wont work then i dont see any point in bothering.

Any ideas for a different pretty small-ish fish i could have?
More importantly am i already overstocked?

I've got a very nice looking couple in my tank. A flame dwarf gourami, and a neon blue dwarf gourami. Very nice contrast. Mine are in a 36 gal. Both males.

Back
Top Bottom