Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge, England (UK)
Posts: 610
Mixing a Female Betta with a Male Betta

I have a male betta at the moment and i read somewhere that someone has a female and a male and they dont fight.
Also i did read that someone tried it and the male harrased the female and bullied her that he was forced to move her into a different tank.
The female died from stress a few days after.

So is this a 50/50 chance or is there a greater chance of success?
__________________

__________________
20Gal Planted, Fluval 205 filtration.
3 Black Neons, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Yo-yo Loaches.
Tank Established: Nov 04'
Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
there is probably a 99% chance that one of them will be killed and a 1% chance that they will coexist. But thats JMO.

I had tried breeding betta's and always wound up almost killing the female in the process and i never wound up with any babies.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Harlingen, Texas
Posts: 1,643
Send a message via MSN to crazyred
My female betta got sick and tired of being "courted" by the male and ripped his long, feathery fins to shreds!!! 8O I had to seperate them ASAP. The only way it will work....IMO...is in a fairly large tank with pletny of plants, real or fake, for hiding.

HTH
__________________
"My name is Crazy Red and I'm an Aquariumaholic." ~~Melissa~~dedicated Ram breeder~~

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 6,703
Whatever you read was incorrect. Male and female bettas should only be housed together for breeding purposes, and only when they are actually ready to breed (male has built, or been building, bubble nest(s) )

Otherwise you're 99% guaranteed to have the same aggressive issues that you'd have with 2 males.
Even 2 females are likely to fight, unless the tank is very large and has some dominant structures (rocks, plants) to help define territories.
__________________
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge, England (UK)
Posts: 610
I have plenty of plants and some wood, granite, slate and my filter has acted as a hiding post in the past aswell.

But im guessing 21-23 gallons is too small?

I think i could put her in, then have the net at the ready, if there really aggressive i could catch her and take her back
__________________
20Gal Planted, Fluval 205 filtration.
3 Black Neons, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Yo-yo Loaches.
Tank Established: Nov 04'
Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 1,255
Send a message via AIM to Rach101
The story you heard of a male and female betta living peacefully together is a rare instance. Such as two males living peacefully together. I would not advise putting both at risk for fighting and hurting eachother. Males should never be kept together, and females should be in a large enough group so that they can establish a pecking order, to level out the aggression towards eachother.

If you want a female or male betta, why have them hiding all the time or tearing eachother to shreds?
__________________
We are far to young and clever
-too* in retrospect the irony hurts
Rach101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge, England (UK)
Posts: 610
I'd just like the idea of a blue and red betta in the tank.

I dont think i should waste my time in buying one then.
If i did i was thinking i could just see what happens when i put the bag in the tank to equalise temperature. But if there's a 99% chance it wont work then i dont see any point in bothering.

Any ideas for a different pretty small-ish fish i could have?
More importantly am i already overstocked?
__________________
20Gal Planted, Fluval 205 filtration.
3 Black Neons, 1 Zebra Danio, 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Yo-yo Loaches.
Tank Established: Nov 04'
Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 56
I've got a very nice looking couple in my tank. A flame dwarf gourami, and a neon blue dwarf gourami. Very nice contrast. Mine are in a 36 gal. Both males.
__________________
iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: IA
Posts: 541
Can you get a few females and leave the guys out of the picture entirely?
__________________
coolchinchilla
a small zoo is cool!
coolchinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pleasant Gorve, Utah
Posts: 264
Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
If u put the female and the male, the female will aways be hiding. Kind of pointless.
__________________

__________________
RIP Elliott Smith, and AD.

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
fishrfreinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta, female, female betta, male, mixing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I tell a female betta from a plakat male betta? Devilishturtles Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 04-12-2007 10:56 PM
Is this a male or a female betta? hulkamaniac Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 06-22-2006 05:43 PM
Female and Male betta Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 08-25-2005 11:31 PM
Betta male attacking female betta j_randall1702 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 05-10-2005 11:01 PM
male female betta biohazzrd Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 01-13-2005 07:49 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.