Mixing badis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, not really sure what the plural of "badis" would be, probably badises, but that doesn't really look right. Anyways...

I have one scarlett badis in my Fluval Chi and he is doing great. No issues whatsoever. Originally had sparkling gouramis with him, but a species-virus knocked them out. Obviously, I'm going to wait awhile longer before introducing new fish, just to make sure that it 100% was a species-virus.

My question is, could I get a blue badis to go along with him? I originally only thought there were scarlet varieties, but a fish magazine came out last month or so about blue badis and they are, in my opinion, a lot prettier. Not that my scarlet isn't pretty, just would have gone with blue is I knew there was such a thing.

So, if I got a blue to go with my scarlet, would they be alright? I have read there are aggression issues sometimes, but mine showed no aggression towards the sparks and he is so lonely right now. He used to play with them constantly and now he just plays with his reflection. I haven't seen any threads about mixing the two varieties yet, but I'll keep looking.

I have a blue badis with a scarlet badis in a tank now. They do find together in my experience.

Also keep in mind the blue badis is much larger than the scarlet. But they are both shy fish, that's why I have them together. The blue badis is also known as a chamelon fish because it will change color depending on its mood. I love my blue bad is, he's very cool and has quite a personality even though I haven't had him long. I recommend getting one highly, but I did have trouble getting mine to eat I front of me. I like to see all my Gish eat and this guy took awhile to get used to eating I front of me. Once he gets bigger I'm going to try moving him to my 36 hopefully its not to busy in there for him. They like to hide so provide alot of plants and caves, a dark substrate will really help you see his colors change too.

Oh, I should have noticed the size difference. I think I will just wait until I can do a different tank with blues. Its hard to find blue badis anyway around here and scarlets are everywhere.

Thank you though! And good luck with your fish <3

I have actually started looking at other badis species and there are some that stay at smaller sizes for my scarlet. Granted, they get more and more difficult to get ahold of, but I think it will be interesting to find.

That's cool. They are a very interesting fish, definatly don't count out the blue he is a great addition to any relaxed tank. Seeing his colors change is amazing too. Good luck on your badis journey!!!

Back
Top Bottom