mixing different cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintique

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was curious, they say that you should keep Cory cats in groups. is it okay to mix different breeds? I have a pepper a emerald and 2 pandas. they seem to hang out together when feeding but I was just curious.

Corys live in schools of thousands in the wild, so yes we should provide them with a group in our aquarium. In my experience different species of Corys will not act as one group if given the chance to be with others of Its own kind.

They don't need to be with their exact species... I have 2 peppered, 2 spotted and 1 albino and they don't behave any differently than a grouping of same species.

If you kept them in larger groups in a spacious enough tank, you would see things differently. Like I had said, if given the choice...... You aren't giving them the choice keeping them the way you are.

If you kept them in larger groups in a spacious enough tank, you would see things differently. Like I had said, if given the choice...... You aren't giving them the choice keeping them the way you are.

I second this, when I first started fish keeping I would keep a couple of different species together and I thought they seemed happy enough, but once I started keeping larger groups of all the same species it was like night and day. They seem like the happiest fish in the world now!

Keeping Corydoras

I was curious, they say that you should keep Cory cats in groups. is it okay to mix different breeds? I have a pepper a emerald and 2 pandas. they seem to hang out together when feeding but I was just curious.

Hello Fin...

Ideally, you want a group of 6 or more, since Corys are shoaling fish and are comfortable in groups. However, they're adaptable and will live just fine in a smaller group or as an individual or mixed species. Just keep their water as free of dissolved wastes as possible and feed them a varied diet. They'll be fine.

B

Most fish will survive "just fine" in an improper school or as an individual. But as they say, surviving and thriving are two different things. It all comes down to whether you're the type of fish keeper to provide the barest of minimums, or not.

I have four Sterbais and they show no signs of stress. Very active from the mid-afternoon until sometime at night.

That said, I realize that I'm at/near the bare minimum and would not recommend keeping fewer of a single species.

thank you very much guys I really appreciate it that information. I'm going to be fixing up those numbers soon.

Finding good fish information is so frustrating. I did research before setting up and stocking my tank and found a lot of what you guys are saying, then when I went to my lfs, they told me something different. I told them what I had found in my own research and they lead me to believe that was just one opinion, but that if i did it the way I have things now, it would be fine. I have an albino, a copper and a panda...AND I have medium sized rocks/gravel as my substrate! Its not a great feeling to think that I'm not giving my fish what they need to "thrive". I don't just want my fish to stay alive I want them to have the best life possible (short of being in the wild). Now I feel trapped because I don't have the space or resources to get additional tanks and even if I make the changes (bigger, tank, more corys, sand substrate) so they can be happier, I could still risk loosing a fish in the process. I'm stuck because I want to make things better for them, but I refuse to knowingly risk one of them dying. Sorry..I'm done now. Just frustrated. Thanks AA for listening and for always giving me help and advice.

Finding good fish information is so frustrating. I did research before setting up and stocking my tank and found a lot of what you guys are saying, then when I went to my lfs, they told me something different. I told them what I had found in my own research and they lead me to believe that was just one opinion, but that if i did it the way I have things now, it would be fine. I have an albino, a copper and a panda...AND I have medium sized rocks/gravel as my substrate! Its not a great feeling to think that I'm not giving my fish what they need to "thrive". I don't just want my fish to stay alive I want them to have the best life possible (short of being in the wild). Now I feel trapped because I don't have the space or resources to get additional tanks and even if I make the changes (bigger, tank, more corys, sand substrate) so they can be happier, I could still risk loosing a fish in the process. I'm stuck because I want to make things better for them, but I refuse to knowingly risk one of them dying. Sorry..I'm done now. Just frustrated. Thanks AA for listening and for always giving me help and advice.

I know exactly how you feel. I started off in a 29 gallon with fine gravel and I found out that Corys needed sand to thrive. I was told that fine gravel was good enough. at the time I only had one cory as well. I got lucky and came across a 50 gallon tank and upgraded during the time that I upgraded I put sand and they do seem happier. I have two pandas a pepper and a Emerald. You could try craigslist. They always have tanks.

A lot of stores, as much as it hurts me to say this, are just trying to turn over inventory so will just say what they think will help sell fish and don't really care about the fish once they leave their possession. A lot of employees just don't know their stuff either. If I'm checking out a new fish store I usually ask them pretty simple questions to see what kind of response I get. For example I'll say something like, "I just got a 15 gallon fish tank and want to add some African Cichlids, what would you suggest?" Or "I want to add an Oscar as a centerpiece to my community aquarium" If they steer me away from this, as they should, I know they at least kind of know what they are talking about and are somewhat honest and care.

This to me is thriving.
http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I feel slightly better because my corys look very similar to that. They do tend to be more active than those guys and even sometimes go to the surface, but that's mostly in the evening when I feed them so I don't know if that is normal or if it is caused by undue stress. I try to keep an eye on their barbs to make sure they don't get damaged but I would sure love to see them digging in soft sand like that. I really love corys more than I expected to. Maybe at some point I'll either take the chance and at least switch to sand, or ideally get another tank, move them and get some more corys so they are in the proper numbers. They did seem quite at ease in a group like that of the same kind.

I'm going to agree with everyone suggesting to increase the shoal numbers of each species.
When I started I had a Noah's ark going on, one or two species of each, but I increased the numbers as I found the fish available. The difference in behavior in my one trilineatus versus three and then seven was vast. Once you're able to add more you'll see a change in their disposition and it makes you feel good!
Single specimens will hang out and swim around and eat but they really open up when they're surrounded by buddies - they become less stressed and their personalities really show IME.

Someone else said it on another post in here and it made me laugh because it was perfect haha

Back
Top Bottom