Mixing fish with Axolotls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or has successfully mixed Axolotls with fish. I would love to do so but don't want to stress any of the species out.
I have 12 peacocks, all about 5-7" in a 55g tank. I know Axolotls are carnivorous but I would think it wouldn't go after fish that big but I'm not sure. Plus I am not sure if the Axolotls secretes some sort of toxins that may harm the fish.
Anyone ever mix the to species?

You should be fine. They are carnivorouse but if smaller animals your peackocks will go unharmed. As far as secretions go you are in the clear as well. They are basicly wierd larval salamandars... I have two they are great. As for mixing with fish, you can but they require cooler water temps more like 57-65 F and dont go above 75 F its fatal. So that may be your determining factor Pay attention to water condition in some cases you can accidently force them to metamorphasis into their non aquatic form which is very hard on them. they are also very simple to breed and live for a very long time. Think dog or cat lifespan not fish lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom