mixing rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was going to get either 2 german blue rams or 2 bolivian rams for my 36 gallon long tank but was just wondering, could I get 1 german blue ram and 1 golden ram instead? Would they fight if I still made sure I got 1 male and 1 female? Would they breed? If I could can someone tell me how to sex the golden rams please.

Also, can I add 50 litres of R0 water to a 138 litre tank in one water change or will it drop my ph too suddenly (my tap water+tank ph was 8.2 until I added 25 litres of R0 water last week, its now about 8. The RO water PH is about 6.8) should I do 25 litres today and another 25 litres in a week or 2 or can I add the remaining 50 litres today? Thanks, laura

Gold rams and blue rams are just different color variations of the same species so yes they can be housed together and will successfully interbreed.

As far as sexing goes I've found the easiest way to sex gold rams, especially young ones, is to look at the dorsal fin. An extended second ray would indicate a male. I'll try to get you some pictures of my German blue pair so you can compare after work today.

If you want them to breed you'll need soft acidic water (very clean as well). I've had my best spawns in discus tanks. Rams don't do very well in high pH water in my experience so you'll need to get that down.

With a ph that high, I would go with Bolivians unless you just want to have the blue and gold. Bolivians tolerate higher ph easier. Their spawns also will tolerate the higher ph better than the blue/golds.

Thank you for the replies. I am considering just getting bolivian rams instead but the plan was to add RO water until my PH is low enough for german blue rams. However after reading how sensitive they are I'm wondering if worth the risk. Are gold rams just as sensitive then? Are Bolivian rams more aggresive? Would they be okay with guppies, 4 cories and some rosey tetra and a bristlenose pleco? Will probably get a pearl gourami again too. Would these get along with bolivian rams?

Bolivians will be fine with all of those. They are no more aggressive than the blue/golds just less sensitive. The golds are just as sensitive as the blues as they are just a color variant of the same fish. The Bolivians are a different species from a different area.

Ah okay thank you. I really can't decide whether to get bolivians or blues/golds :/ I love the look of german blues and golds obviously but I don't want to buy them if they're just going to die or not thrive because my ph is too high. And I probably won't ever be able to get my nitrates below 20ppm either because my tap water nitrates are 40ppm (I'm gradually changing to 50% R0 water to lower this). I don't know if german blue rams can handle nitrates that high?

The Bolivians are a much easier and forgiving fish. 20 NA is not above what they can handle. AND I had Bolivians spawn and have some surviving eggs with ph of 8-8.5. I am sure I would have had a better survival rate if the ph had been below 8, but you can have them and have them spawn in your water.

Bolivians it is then :) could I get a pair in my 138 litre/36 gallons (I think?) If I have 4 cories and a bristnose pleco on the bottom? The bristlenose stays in her tree trunk or on the driftwood so I'm not worried about her but will the rams start on the cories? I only have 4 albino cories and the tanks almost 3 foot long with lots of plants and hiding places. Just don't want my cories to get beaten up or eaten lol

Plenty of room.....and the Bolivians will not hurt the cory cats....mine lived with 14 of them and the most that ever happened is daddy ram would chase them away from the nesting spot. Once the cories were 6+ inches away he went back to stand guard again. Bolivians really are not equipped to do any damage to any other fish.

I wouldn't put blue and gold together only because your chances for hybrid are high. Stick with one or the other. If, you get the fry to sellable size. Hybrids are going to be harder to sell. Also, that's a big if. From personal experience getting rams to breed is actually easy. Raising the fry to selling size is much harder. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Thanks phishfriend, I'm going to get 2 bolivian rams instead :)

And ah great snoopy65, I love my cories :D gotta find somewhere that sells bolivian rams near me now. Thanks!

Rams are relatively peaceful unless they are spawning and even then you should have enough space for them to carve out their own territory.

Of course as with any fish you should keep an eye on them but I wouldn't anticipate many problems.

Back
Top Bottom