Mixing rams.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidgolding

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys very keen on starting quite a large aquarium maybe 200 litres and I am looking to have electric blue rams and Betta's. Ideally both will breed which is fine but just want to make sure they can mix. And what other stuff can go in with them? Also if anyone has done it let me know how you got on

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i don't think betta fish and rams go well together... like i really think they won't last that long.

Any reason because they both friendly fish. One breeds in the water and one on the bottom.

but it does sound like a cool mix. i would add some tetras and guppies too but i would be scared because at least 1 or 2 would bully the guppies or betta. oh fyi when you said "ideally both will breed" i don't think they can interbreed but if you meant that they will breed with their own species then that makes a lot more sense.

hhmmmm..... some other suggestions to add are pencil fish, cardinal tetras, maybe dwarf gouramis, etc.... just small peaceful fish that won't really challenge the breeding pairs and if you want the fry to survive then i would consider nothing bigger than the rams.

I thought bettas kill each other?? Rams and bettas together? if they were to spawn at the same time it would probably turn into a bloodbath. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to have an electric blue ram, Bolivian ram, and a male betta in my old 55. All 3 were fine together. The betta used to flare at the rams regularly but the rams ignored him so he eventually stopped.

Not sure what would happen with mated pairs of either in the same tank. My assumption is the bigger the tank with lots of plants, the better.

I used to have an electric blue ram, Bolivian ram, and a male betta in my old 55. All 3 were fine together. The betta used to flare at the rams regularly but the rams ignored him so he eventually stopped.

Not sure what would happen with mated pairs of either in the same tank. My assumption is the bigger the tank with lots of plants, the better.

Hey t4, haven't seen you around in a spell, hope the tank still looks awesome!

I'm not an expert on bettas by any means, rams wouldn't be my concern in this setup, I've always thought bettas will kill 70% of their spawning partners and they need be separated and all that?? Wouldn't the just go beserk and hunt down everything else in the tank if they got down to the baby making?

I'm looking at 6 females to one male as that is what I have had great experience with and no fatality. And I've had good experience with rams but just never in the same tank. To go with I was looking at very placid fish like cory's. It's good to hear everyone's perspective on this keep them coming. The tank is plenty large enough for them all.

Hey t4, haven't seen you around in a spell, hope the tank still looks awesome!

I'm not an expert on bettas by any means, rams wouldn't be my concern in this setup, I've always thought bettas will kill 70% of their spawning partners and they need be separated and all that?? Wouldn't the just go beserk and hunt down everything else in the tank if they got down to the baby making?

Hi. Sent you a pm so we don't hijack this thread.

Back
Top Bottom