MM Platy - aggressive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
MM Platy - aggressive?

In our newer 40gal tank over the last couple weeks we introduced a MM Platy and a number of smaller fish.

A couple have died but looked beat up to me. Tonight I was watching a glofish danio and it was fine. A couple hours later he was clearly injured and looked beat up. While watching the tank the MM Platy cam by and nipped him.

A while later someone else noticed the MM Platty nipping some other fish.

Are they normally aggressive fish? There are two other platies in the tank and they are quite passive.

I think I will be returning the MM PLaty to the store tomorrow, as well as exchanging the now dead glofish.

Is it worth getting another Platy or should I just get something a bit more passive?

MM Platy - aggressive?

In our newer 40gal tank over the last couple weeks we introduced a MM Platy and a number of smaller fish.

A couple have died but looked beat up to me. Tonight I was watching a glofish danio and it was fine. A couple hours later he was clearly injured and looked beat up. While watching the tank the MM Platy cam by and nipped him.

A while later someone else noticed the MM Platty nipping some other fish.

Are they normally aggressive fish? There are two other platies in the tank and they are quite passive.

I think I will be returning the MM PLaty to the store tomorrow, as well as exchanging the now dead glofish.

Is it worth getting another Platy or should I just get something a bit more passive?
IME, sometimes a platy will be a bit aggressive, but not usually. I think its worth it to trade for a different one. I suggest getting a female instead. I have never had a nippy female. :)

They are not aggressive, but they do like to a buddy to swim around with

Back
Top Bottom