Modern Fish Load Measures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I have started to flesh it out, I think the old rule is still a good base. Surface area would be more relevant for a standard setup, but as soon as you start playing with variables, every rule breaks down.

I think people need to understand two things (1) tank capacity - how much life can the system sustain (2) and max system load - how much life will you be attempting to sustain assuming your fish all survive to adulthood.

Chasing the first number, take you tank size, say 75-gallons. Adjust out gravel, so we have say 70-gallons. Now, find your filters GPH rating. Adjust it down for a more accurate number. Say it is rated at 350gph, we will call it 300gph. That is about 4.3 turns per hour. Assuming 3 turns per hour is standard, the rest gives you a bit more room to support life, so 1.3 is about 33% increase in efficiency from our base-line. So we can adjust from 70 to ~93.

Now, do you have a planted tank? I mean live plants of course. If you have a medium or dense level of plants that frequently pearl (meaning they give off so much O2 that the water column reaches saturation), then give yourself another 25% (of the original number), which brings our current total to 110. (I am also thinking that you might get an adjustment here for an airstone?)

Now how much water is replaced each week? If you only replace water monthly, divide it out to get a weekly number. 0-20% water change a week is probably a wash, so I wouldn't count any economies there. If you do 25-75% a week, I would count that in, such that 50% PWC a week would give me another 50% (of the original 70), brining my total to 145.

Here is the break down:

Tank size: 75 gallon
Adjust for gravel: 70 gallons
% efficiency of filtration over 3 turns per hour: 33% (of 70) = ~23
Plant density and happiness: 25% (of 70) = 17.5
Weekly water change (over 20%) = 50% (of 70) or 35

TOTAL tank capacity number: 145

Then when counting your fish, make a list. Don't measure their current size. Instead find a good internet site and mark down their adult size. Then decide if each fish is a small (skinny, like a neon tetra), medium (like a Cory cat) or large (like an oscar) body type. Use a 1, 2 or 3 multiplier, respectively.

So 5 neons = 1.5-inch adult size x 5 x 1 (small body type) = 7.5
3 cory cats = 3-inch adult size x 3 x 2 (medium body type) = 18
Etc.

So let's take a typical, not planted, low-tech setup and see how the numbers come out.

Tank size: 20-gallon
Adjusted for gravel: 18-gallons
GPH Filtration over 3: 0% (standard HOB filter at 60GPH adjusted down from 100GPH because you don't clean the thing out often or well)
Planted Bonus: None (plastic plants and a sunken ship)
Weekly water change: 25% every 4 weeks = ~7% a week so we get a 0% here

Total tank capacity index: 18

Then look at what you can put in there:

4 neons = 4 x 1.5 x 1 = 6
2 corys = 2 x 3 x 2 = 12

Perhaps if I gave you some extra leeway for that bubbling treasure chest, you would have enough for one more small fish.

Thoughts? (If you actually read the above)...

a few comments -
- is there any basis of the choice of the percentage increases due to filter efficiency, plant density, or amount of pwc's? just wondering...you know, those who can't do, criticize :).
filter efficiency tends to vary widely with filter-maintenance, presence of a pre-filter etc. amount of pwc's are variable too. one week, due to heavy workload, i might decide to skip the 50% pwc. what happens then?
- multipliers should also be assigned for the activity-level of the fish and the aggressiveness. www.malawicichlidhomepage.com has an excellent article on this. i'll dig it up when i have time.

all that said, i think its a great effort on your part, dapellegrini. great to see people thinking fresh.

Welll......

I tend to way overstock my tanks by this forums standards. If i listed my stock in my tanks, people here would have heart attacks.

HOWEVER:

My tanks are fully planted, bringing down the nitrite levels.
I do H2O changes every 2nd or 3rd day
I carefully plan my tank stock and layout to compensate for aggression and give hiding and territory to each fish in the tank
I feed very carefully, even target feeding some of my fish
I airate

I am religious about my upkeep in order to keep them happy so I can have what i want in my tanks. I am careful enough that everyone has PLENTY of swimming and shelter room, and haven't had any major problems yet.

I think there are factors involved such as how tightly the fish school, or if they school at all, level of main swimming, body length vs tail length, and the education and willingness to change water of the keeper.

There are guidelines, yes, and you have to pay attention to the adult size of the fish and its comfort at that size.

I also tend to upgrade as needed for adult fish who outgrow their tanks, when they do.

triazole -- Well, I am just pulling things out of the air at this point and am open to better measurements... I seem to remember somewhere that you want about 3 turns of your tank per hour with your filter, so that is what I used as a base-line. Seemed easy and obvious to attribute anything over the base line to the "capacity index" number.

For water changes, I am guessing at what might represent a normal level. I picked 25% as the under/over. Seems that if you are changing at least 25% weekly then you should be able to count that in as well... Perhaps I should change the under/over? If you do many PWC a week or do inconsistent amounts, it should still be easy enough to average it out over a few weeks or months.

The hardest one is the plant level / aeration. I am not sure how to do this, but I think that if you are heavily planted it will also contribute positively to your "capacity index". Definitely looking to refine that one a bit.

Anything else I am not thinking in the "capacity index"?

As for the "load index" it wouldn't be completely out of the question to get a list of all of the popular FW fish and assign them a multiplier. I kinda like my simple slim/medium/large body type thing, but am open to suggestions on how to make it better. I don't want to make it too complex though. I am not sure activity level really adds/reduces waste though... My old Pleco barely moved, but made did he make a mess!

I wasn't thinking of adding any "compatibility" clauses in this calculation. I think that would be a different thing that tells you not to mix Oscars with your guppies...

As for swimming levels, I am kind of on the fence with that one. It is more relevant, but I am not sure exactly how you would build it in... Perhaps you are looking for a load balance at the three tank levels. So if your capacity index was 100, then you would have 33, 33, 33 to assign roughly to each level? Then with the "load index" you would have to define which region the load is counted in? -- What about fish that are between zones, or all over the place?

MyCatsDrool -- I would think you could substantiate your overstocking with a calculator like this that takes your (insane :) ) maintenance schedule into account.

triazole -- interesting article, thank you. I will have to read it over in more detail this evening.

If i listed my stock in my tanks, people here would have heart attacks.
Thats how my 29g is. :D It is terribly overstocked.

I think stocking rules depends on alot of things and I'm not sure you could have a "one size fits all" rule. I personally have overstocked tanks (by alot of rules), but they are heavily planted, have pwc of 50% weekly, feed every other day, and have more than enough filtration. I keep a check on nitrAtes as an indicator for "extremely overstocked". ;) My nitrAtes are always in check (thanks to the plants), so though my tanks are overstocked, they are healthy.

There does need to be some type of rule (or guidelines) I think, because for me, I've learned through experience how to stock community tanks. But a beginner obviously has no experience so they need something to follow.

I think that beginners who don't have planted tanks, should understock their tanks, but really, who's to say what the definition of understocked is? I'm sure we all have our own opinions about what a certain size tank should hold.

Its great that you are trying to figure this out. I wish you luck...hopefully you can come up with a good set of guidelines for beginners to use, that takes into account more than just the tank size.

from what i have seen, it varies from site to site, message board to message board on what overstocked is.

this one is very VERY conservative, others are more liberal.

EDIT
That is not to say this isn't a great site, it is a terrific site with excellent information. But, i find here people can be pretty abrasive if they disagree with you.

Hey JustOneMore20 -- I am actually shooting for a calculator that could justify your tank as well, assuming that your maintenance plan does truly create a sustainable environment for the load you have. I guess I am not looking for an end all, but something that would be useful not just for newbies, but also for folks like us who have established a gut feel for it.

I have a suspicion that if we correctly adjust for and understand a setup by more than just size or surface area, (i.e. maintenance, filtering, aeration, fish body types) we can explain successful heavy load setups.

Not that I am suggesting we should all figure out how to add more fish into the same space though... lol

i find here people can be pretty abrasive if they disagree with you

lol... i hope i don't come across that way... too often at least ;)

can be hard to have a passionate conversation in writing without coming off wrong to someone...

dapellegrini said:
i find here people can be pretty abrasive if they disagree with you

lol... i hope i don't come across that way... too often at least ;)

can be hard to have a passionate conversation in writing without coming off wrong to someone...

...dont disagree with me then, lol, i tend to openly speak my mind.

the 1" rule is terrible in the fact that so many people dont realize the potential room that the fish may want, only that it looks big enough. is full grown oscar really happy in a 75 gallon tank, which is really, 4x bigger than himself. it'd be like being trapped in a small room, even if they arent active swimmers, they territorially need space

If someone had a list of recommendations, like the +10% for this, all that, I could probably write a computer program to do it. Im saying probably though... I do a lot of programming and I could possibly work something out. I'm not sure how I'd integrate it onto a website though, but I could figure that out too

Back
Top Bottom