Mold and things.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtankfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my ten gallon I have some rocks and a few fake plants and recently I just switched to an automatic timer for the light. I leave the light on for about 8 hours a day but i still seem to be getting algae and/or mold growing on the rocks and plants. I've kept my fish in the dark for a couple days now to hopefully stop that from happening. How long should i leave my light on during a day?

p.s. its the standard light that came with the tank, it's 15 watts.

Could you describe the algae - is it green, brown, white, fuzzy, stringy, or powdery?
Also how often and much do you feed?
What wattage is the bulb? It's usually printed on the end of the bulb.

How big is this tank? It sounds like a 10-20gallon tank...I just want to make sure you know that clown loaches reach sizes over 8", and prefer to be in groups of 4 or more. I want to make sure you have plans to upgrade the size of your tank, within the year. A clown loach hits 2-2.75" in the first year, and that's too large for a 10 gallon, and I wouldn't really recommend a 20gallon.

As stated in the first post....it is a ten gallon with a 15 watt bulb.

I feed once a day. I was feeding twice a day but the tank would get cloudy so i cut back and now it doesnt get cloudy. The stuff on the rocks is green and the stuff on the plants is brown. Hope that helps.

Well the loach won't do the job. Clown loaches are pretty happy about eating snails though if you are having any trouble with them.

With a small tank like that I would get some ottos. They love to clean rocks & glass & probably even fake plants. You just can't have other fish that will pick on them. Or you could go with a mystery snail.

never ever say snails i never found any use of them

eewww i hate those guys try to get rid of them.... nothing works

The brown stuff is diatoms. Frog girl suggested oto cats - they're the only fish that really eats diatoms to any extent. Personally, I can't seem to keep the poor things alive, so I just wipe diatoms off at every water change - fortunately, it comes off very easily.

The green algae can be kept under control by putting in some easy to keep live plants like Java fern or Java moss - they will absorb excess nutrients. Siamese algae eaters, otos, snails, and dwarf ancistrus plecos will eat green algae.

I also want to agree with Malkore about the clown loach. They are not happy being solitary, and even one will outgrow a 10 gal before long.

Back
Top Bottom