Mold in my HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey P

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just sitting down to read a book and noticed some rattling over by my tank. It was different then the usual sound so I got up to investigate. Upon taking off the lid of my Aqeuon 55/75 I found white mold on both of the blue bio screens as well as the oxygen/bio drip thing in the front. I also found a little bit on the cover, and some up on another 'dry' spot. Lastly, there was some circling around in an area, in front of the filters, that isn't moving much. My guess is that filters finally got clogged to the point where water isn't moving fast enough and this is the result.
So, do I just replace the filters? Do I need to pull the entire unit and wash it out? What's the next step?

Also, for just this kind of issue, I'm running two filters. I'm also running a canister as well, so replacing the filters in here isn't going to crash anything. In fact, I'm been hemming and hawing about just getting rid of this one because it's so loud (while the other one is silent), but this just goes to show why it's good to have two.

All of the white in this picture is mold, or at least what I assume is mold. You can see it in the water as well as way above the water line.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/JoeyJoeyPP/IMG_20130807_223407_zps0a34fb20.jpg

If I don't get an answer tonight, I'll probably just unplug the filter and clean it tomorrow after work.

I was just sitting down to read a book and noticed some rattling over by my tank. It was different then the usual sound so I got up to investigate. Upon taking off the lid of my Aqeuon 55/75 I found white mold on both of the blue bio screens as well as the oxygen/bio drip thing in the front. I also found a little bit on the cover, and some up on another 'dry' spot. Lastly, there was some circling around in an area, in front of the filters, that isn't moving much. My guess is that filters finally got clogged to the point where water isn't moving fast enough and this is the result.
So, do I just replace the filters? Do I need to pull the entire unit and wash it out? What's the next step?

Also, for just this kind of issue, I'm running two filters. I'm also running a canister as well, so replacing the filters in here isn't going to crash anything. In fact, I'm been hemming and hawing about just getting rid of this one because it's so loud (while the other one is silent), but this just goes to show why it's good to have two.

All of the white in this picture is mold, or at least what I assume is mold. You can see it in the water as well as way above the water line.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/JoeyJoeyPP/IMG_20130807_223407_zps0a34fb20.jpg

If I don't get an answer tonight, I'll probably just unplug the filter and clean it tomorrow after work.

My Aqueon had the same problem. I decided aqueons are trash and got a aquaclear. I'm waiting a while before getting rid of the Aqueon and just using the aquaclear

My Aqueon had the same problem. I decided aqueons are trash and got a aquaclear. I'm waiting a while before getting rid of the Aqueon and just using the aquaclear

I have two 55/75 aqueon filters for my 55 long. I noticed white ashy substance on the top one of the filter lids. Didnt think anything of it and just wiped it off with a damp sponge. A day later it was back. Now i just change the pads more often and once a month i detach the filter and clean them with a baby bottle brush. I havent had any issues since.

Back
Top Bottom