Mold on gravel!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last week I changed my gravel from natural, to black -- it was the roman jet black gravel... This week, its covered with White fuzzy mold! I've changed my gravel over countless times, and never experienced and issue like this before. I do my 50% weekly water changes, and gravel vaccum every other week. I don't understand how this has happened. Any ideas? It's In both of my fish tanks, and I noticed yesterday, when I was doing water changes... That the tanks STINK!!

I thought it was the food thing too, as I found rotting algae tablets under the driftwood, but it's happened at the same time, in both my tanks. What a nightmare lol I hope I don't have to strip it down and re- cycle both again lol

From what I've read the fungi is harmless and certain plec love the stuff.

After the mass has been removed its basically just letting it die off.

Shouldn't take too long hopefully :)

Two fit the description I think, fungus or a bacteria (akin to cyano) depending on which it is. Any chance for a pic? Also have you tested your water? I believe both feed on ammonia components.

HN1 said:
Two fit the description I think, fungus or a bacteria (akin to cyano) depending on which it is. Any chance for a pic?

If it is what I had I can give a pic lol

This is one nights growth (quickly removed!)

Attachments

• image-3942805995.jpg
    image-3942805995.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 219
  • image-4234431576.jpg
    image-4234431576.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 187
Yeah it kinda looks like that. I can't post any pics atm, as I don't have access to a computer, but as soon as I do, I'll put a few up. I also noticed it's spread over all my plants -- anubia's, will this harm them?

Can you test your water? If it is what I think it may be, it feeds on ammonia and once that is gone will fade away without harm.

The only way i can describe the mold is that it looks like a cobweb, quite creepy actually lol

I didn't get around to testing the water, but I'm going to assume it was quite high, the reason for it.... I noticed my filter had stopped working so I started pulling it apart and found the inside of the filter was caked in this thick, brown sludge, yuck!! It must have got backed up from me changing the gravel last week, and the smell from it was horrendous... It actually stunk out the whole of upstairs!! I also noticed that all the fish started gasping for air... This is why I assume the ammonia was quite high. I'm about to do the other tank now, so I'll get the readings from this one instead. I actually cleaned both filters last week too, so this is quite a shock.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

A few extra water changes will probably eliminate it. The clean water will also help the fish.

That's what I thought but I've done 4 water changes this week and nothings changed, other than the water is very cloudy today, and I've noticed all my tetra's gasping for air at the surface. I'm actually tempted to tear it down and start again. I'm going to test the water actually and see what the damage is. :/

Well, water levels are good. I don't have any nitrates, which is a little strange since I only have anubia's, but Ammonia and Nitries are 0ppm. Thankfully :D lol

So.....I've been thinking about this situation and i'm wondering....is my fish tank going through a cycle??

The reason why.....It stinks like rotten eggs,not only that but I changed the gravel, and have done 5 big water changes...including when I did the gravel. The water is also cloudy,as I mentioned above, plus no nitrates.

What you guys think? Because I am very close to giving up, and starting again lol.

I'm having the same problem I have just done up my fish tank and Its stinks of rotten eggs my plant has died the waters cloudy and filthy and there a web like fungus which I managed to get rid of but it was all over my fish tank and a layer of it on top of the water and I really want more fish but I can't incase this will harm them HELP PLEASE

It won't harm your fish, I know this from experience lol. Another thing I have found out, from experience, is that the problem is to do with the filtration. I rinsed one filter in old bucket water and then bought a new filter, for my other tank, as it was broken and the issue has resolved itself. :)

Back
Top Bottom