Mold showing up everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up a small housing for 3 red clawed crabs, and I put some tiny fish pellet food in there as I found they could eat that. I noticed though a lot of mold (white fuzzy stuff) was appearing everywhere on the food pellets, on the pebbles, and around.

I'm in the process of cleaning the housing and all the pebbles. I moved the crabs into smaller containers separately until the new housing is ready. Next time, is it better for me to put the food in a small bowl instead of just dropping it around everywhere? I don't want to have to do this again. I was thinking of just throwing out all the pebbles and buying a new bag, but I decided to sift them several times through water (hot water too), let them sit in vinegar, and sift/clean them again through water.

It is a good idea to use a bowl of some type that is recommended for the type of pet you have. I have seen a lot of supplies for hermit crabs online. Maybe something like that would work for your type of crab. It makes cleaning a lot easier and the pet soon learns to come there for food. Cleaning the gravel like you did should be fine. I have a lot of pets and we have damp weather. I have to deal with mold a lot. Vinegar seems to be the best and safest way to clean it. You can use a bleach and water mixture but you have to rinse it really well and it leaves a bleach smell for awhile. I think the vinegar is safer.

thanks. Yes, I think I will from now on just leave the food in a small bowl where they can go there for food.

Does anyone know if it's OK/safe to drop some food in the water? I did that once but noticed it made the water murky after it dissolved.

Also, do crabs try and eat the little gravel pieces on the ground? I noticed that even though there was no food around, they occasionally seem to be picking things up with their claws and putting it in their mouth.

You can get sinking food that is made for bottom feeders that doesn't come apart like regular fish food. I buy the pellet type for my shrimp and snails. I used to keep hermit crabs and they would pick up small shells and stuff and explore it with their mouth. I have never kept any other kind. Maybe someone else will know more and reply.

Back
Top Bottom