mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought 3 new mollies, 2 are happy as larry swimming about but 1 is just sat at the bottom not moving about. Is this normal or is a sign its not gonna last?

I had this problem too. I bought four mollies, three of which died. Bought another one later on and that died too. One just sat at the bottom not moving, one shimmied near the bottom, and the third starting swimming head up like a corkscrew.
Is your tank cycled yet?
Phone up the fish shop you bought them from and ask what pH, why temp they are kept and and if they kept them in brackish or freshwater.
It could be that it's in shock because of a sudden change in conditions.

Yeah tank is fully cycle, I've covered up the tank with a sheet to make it nice and dark, I peeked in a min ago and its started swimming about but when I took the cover off it hid again so hopefully its just shy. Thanks for the advice though its probably good sense to get that info from the lfs anyway.

Yeah, some fish do just take a while to settle in. I had two blue tetras that hid and stayed on the bottom for a week before they settled in. The three I got a couple of weeks later were fine. No problems at all. Just keep an eye on your Mollie. Fingers crossed for you :)

I agree some fish just take a while to settle in. It doesn't really matter if they are a cichlid, a guppy or any other kind it all comes down to the individual. Fish can go through alot in the days before you actually get them home. Firstly they are swimming about happy as ever in the tank they were born in, then netted and transported to your local lfs. From her they go into a tank and all manner of people are walking by and spooking them with a net coming into the tank every so often and even the other day like I saw a small child knocking on the glass trying to get the fishes attention. Then into transport to your tank and now hopefully the fish will settle down as the others have, it may just take a little longer. I have even had fish that just won't eatintil they are happy

Yeah, I had that with my tetras. They would only eat when a pellet sunk and floated past their mouths. If it didn't go near them, they didn't eat. That lasted about a week.
Now they're the biggest pigs! They eat anything that makes it into the tank.

Yeah you make a good point tropical boy. I never really thought about that before. Good news is he seems ok now but I think he's more nocturnal. When I came down this morning he was out swimming but when I turned the light on he just hid again, but least I know he's ok

How can I tell the sex of mollies? I have a black, a white and a dalmatian one. I know the black ones a male for sure as its top fin is nearly bigger than its body, bit the other 2 have tiny little fins, does that mean anything?

Every Molly I've ever gotten have alway been active. I have black, silver, and dalmation :) you're right about the black one. Mollies are pretty easy to sex. Females have round fins and small dorsal fins, males are the complete opposite and they have more of a developed anal fin. If you're still unsure then post pics

Tried to get some pics but let's face it, it takes a master to get a good pic of fish and I'm an idiot with a camera phone lol anyways hope these are good enough?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110206_094522.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110206_094522.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20110206_094632.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110206_094632.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110206_094902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110206_094902.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 90
Yea definitely two females and a male; perfect ratio

Back