Mollies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What size tank would you recommend for mollies? I want to have just an all mollie tank and I was wondering if a 40 gallon would work? How many could I put in there comfortably?

A 40gal would be perfect. Depending on the type of mollies you want to stock i would say about 6 female and 2 males would be doable. Black and golddust mollies stay smaller than others so if your plans are for those types 8 fish could work. If your gonna go with any of the larger types I'd only go with 5 or 6.

Sweet thank you! I figured someone would tell me only like 3 or 4! Yaye! What about silver mollies? I am a big fan of black mollies and silver ones.

Well I got the 40 gallon...Now I have to go back and get a filter and a heater and whatever else...Any suggestions on a filter for a 40 gallon?

AquaClear filters, canister filters (if you have some money to spend!) or an Emperor 400 would all be great filters for a 40 gallon tank. Good luck!

Most silver mollies get a little bigger so you'd have to downsize from the 8 fish depending on how many silvers you decided to get.
Dont get me wrong mollies have a huge bioload so you'd have to keep up with your pwc's every week.
I have 11 black lyretails in a 29gal and they're fine:)

I should clarify that those 11 are all male and its a grow out tank. I do a 50°/. Water chng weekly and my trates never go above 20.

I usually do two water changes a week so I dunno if that changes anything...Im debating on mollies or angels...Can they go in the same tank together? I am going up to petco in the next few days to check out some filters so hopefully I will find something good for under like 70 bucks and I have to get a heater too so I am on a budget! I have a tetra whisper filter for 30 gallons already

I meant to say could I use the whisper and get another maybe cheaper filter to pair with it?

Ok sorry for all the posts...I was reading the reviews on the emperor 400 and everyone was saying that it was really loud and some of the people said it didnt work very well...What are your opinions on it? It is only 41$ so its not too bad I just want to hear some opinions! Thank you guys for all the help! I just wanna make sure I get something good for the tank! I am too excited! I have been waiting for a bigger tank for so long! :)

Males can become aggressive when breeding.. 1 male to 3 females.. And if you tank can take it.. Have as many as you want! :D

Would the angels be okay in a community tank tho? I currently have 2 mollies and 2 platys...Would they be okay together? I think I might try the emperor first it is about ten dollars cheaper...Also on either the aquaclear or the emperor is there anything I can do for the intake so that baby fish or shrimp dont get sucked in? And could I still keep the whisper in there too? I guess it would be better to be over clean than under! :) Also does anyone use or know anyone that uses the aqueon pro heaters? Everyone seems to like them from what I have read just seein what everyone thinks :) Thank you guys again!!!!

brunettebaby4571 said:
Would the angels be okay in a community tank tho? I currently have 2 mollies and 2 platys...Would they be okay together? I think I might try the emperor first it is about ten dollars cheaper...Also on either the aquaclear or the emperor is there anything I can do for the intake so that baby fish or shrimp dont get sucked in? And could I still keep the whisper in there too? I guess it would be better to be over clean than under! :) Also does anyone use or know anyone that uses the aqueon pro heaters? Everyone seems to like them from what I have read just seein what everyone thinks :) Thank you guys again!!!!

Here, anything that an angel can fit in its mouth it will eat, trust me. If your fish are small and you get adults they will be eaten, get babies if you can becaus they will grow up with the others as tank mates and not food that they can't eat! + no fin nippers for the angels

Ok I have the three mollies now and two platys...Would the angels be okay? I plan on getting them small.

Ok that is fine. I'm not the biggest guppy fan so that is no problem :) Tetras are out of the question than I assume?

Back
Top Bottom