mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 mollies in a 10 gallon aquarium (1 male and 2 females) The male will not leave the one female alone, and just ignores the other. I feel bad for the female he follows arround all the time, and dont' really know what to do. Why doesn't he follow them around equally to at least give them a break? They both have plenty of places to hide, but don't want to seem to use them...

Mollies are eating and breeding machines. That’s their hole goal in life; eat and reproduce. Must be a nice life. The reason he is concentrating all his efforts on one female is because he can tell which female is ready for mating. Give him some time he will settle down. I keep my males in a separate tank or they drive the females nuts.

Just to give you an idea of how horny these little buggers can get I have one male that spends all his time chasing one of my your immature males. I’ve seen him try to breed with him. Gay mollies or just confused, I don’t know.

Try lowering the temp in your tank to around 72F. I’ve noticed my mollies are less interested in breeding when the water temp goes down.

Thanks for the information. :) The only molly that he was following around was definately pregnant (we were kind of worried because she was quite large for a while) but she's a lot skinnier today. Unfortunately, I don't see any babies, so I'm assuming they got eaten (not that I had much room for them anyway). Anyway, they've been together in that aquarium for almost 4 months now. (No deaths or losses either, my first aquarium, I'm quite proud of that :)). Oh well. I tried to put some cucumber in my aquarium for my cories to eat, and the snails got to them first. lol. It's crazy in there.

Well, I found 5 babies hiding in my plants today. They're quite large. The only other babies I've ever seen though were guppy babies. I can't imagine how any of my fish could eat these babies, but I separated the 3 I could catch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom