Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mollies eating shrimp?

I got 10 ghost shrimp. Can only find 2 now... I have a 29 gallon mediumly planted tank. It has Danios, mollies, platies, and skirt tail Tetras and a few cory cats.... So who needs to go to make the tank shrimp safe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111201_123820.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	63739  

Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say everything except the cories. Everythig loves shrimp, and all your fish can beat up and eat ghosts. I dont mix shrimp with fish.
If you really want shrimp, put lots of moss and hiding places for them to hide and stay safe from hungry mouths.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh darn... i was thinking about some cherry shrimp... thats why i tried the ghost shrimp first. i had always read cherry shrimp make good addition to community tank. are there any other inverts that will make it in there? i have had snail b4 and that was an issue... breeding city
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have ghost shrimp in my community tank (see my sig) and they do fine. I do not consider them feeders, as some folks do.

With your stocking list, I'd probably blame the skirts first.

Basically, if you want shrimp like ghosts, you have to pick small peaceful species to live with them.

I actually have corys with my red cherry shrimp and they don't even eat the little shrimplets. It can work, but you have to choose wisely.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the skirts huh? i was always tol they were plant eaters, and to watch them in my planted aquarium
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

skirts are big ginormous pigs..... plus they get really huge, you might have to be sure the dog doesn't get too close to the tank or they'll swallow him whole.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they get that big?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

At their mature size, his had bodies larger than half dollars and the regular fins, not the long-finned variety. They were huge! 6 of them outgrew a 26 gallon tank.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what i read says black skirts only get about 2 inches long...
Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

maybe he had alien mutant ones..... they sure were cute when they were little juvies..... maybe it's because he has a tendency to overfeed his tank, I don't know.....

Tags
eat, eating, mollies, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com